Re: [IRCA] WGR 5-5-0 in Buffalo

bill kral wrote:
I didn't know WGR operated with a different night time pattern from
the daytime one.When I lived in Toronto in the late 70s when their
format was oldies they did not switch from day to night as there was
no noticable change in signal strength or interuption in the switch
from day to night.Bill im BC

They were switching, even then - it's just that you happened to be living in the direction where their nighttime signal was as strong as (maybe even stronger than) their day signal.

WGR is non-directional by day; its night pattern is unchanged since the 1950s, when they upgraded from 1 kW to 5 kW at night. It's a figure-8 aimed north-northwest (at Toronto) and south-southeast. It has a very deep null to protect WKRC in Cincinnati and another to protect WDEV in Vermont and CFNB in New Brunswick. (Everything else on 550, like Rhode Island, came later.)