From: amdx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amdx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Saul DX
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:23 AM
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; IRCA list; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Amdx] WBGW-1590 DX test makes it - barely > Toronto

Well, I ended up in the most challenging location I could feasibly end up -
downtown Toronto - and staying awake paid off. I've heard WBGW in Toronto
before, but certainly not from downtown where I have a 1430, 1540 and 1610
triple-play a mile or three away at Toronto Island. I thought I heard bits
of tone here and there but it was so weak I still am not sure. I was
starting to DX the Land of Nod when I was startled awake by a set of call
letters, probably about half-way through. Then at 1:50 EDT I heard
unmistakeable bugle sounds, albeit a bit weak. At first I thought it was
jazz, say a trumpet, as it faded up. I stuck around another ten minutes, to
the TOH, and heard nothing else except WAKR.

I don't think I've ever heard bugle calls used for a DX test.

I'm super glad I brought my loop-stick-modified Tecsun 380 ULR with me when
I came back from Burnt River last time around. Much more fun than getting
into my car, driving around, and hoping for the best. So this is a relog to
my Toronto log, but new using an ULR.

Looks like it got out fairly well - I wonder if the tone Pat Martin heard in

OR was the same as Shawn Axelrod in MB!

I am off to Burnt River this morning for just under a week, and later this
weekend I'll assemble a report of who heard what and feed it back to these
lists and to the two clubs and the DX test web site; and make that report
part of a thank-you to the station.

Saul Chernos

files! Register first.