[IRCA] TP DX for 10-2-10

Conditions seemed to be mixed this morning. It started out quite dull but got better towards the end.

The big NHK stations were way down, except for brief peaks on 747 & 774. Some Chinese signals were much better than normal, as was Taiwan 738. For some reason, 738 is a regular for Gary but not for me. The upper band never came alive except for 1566, but other parts of the band were good for brief periods, starting at the lower frequencies and working up to midband just before things collapsed at about 1410.

The highlight of the morning was VOA-1170 Philippines with a woman in presumed Cantonese mentioning voanews.com at 1359 behind semi-local KPUG. That's one I haven't yet heard at Grayland and easily my best catch so far this season.

This morning's summary

Good audio
648    Unid inst music briefly at 1344
657    N Korea briefly at 1336
738    Taiwan, consistently good
747    JOIB (very briefly)
774    JOUB (also very briefly)
972    S Korea, had its ups and downs
981    China
1206    China very briefly
1566    HLAZ

Fair audio
756    China
1035    China //981
1170    VOA Philippines
1278    Woman talking, unable to ID language

Weak-trace audio
621    YL Talk, decent carrier but tooo much KCIS-630 splatter
666    decent carrier weak modulation 1404
1017    Traces
1107    Traces
1125    decent carrier, weak modulation 1407
1314    bits of talk in unid language 1412
1503    carrier with threshold audio 1410

Bruce in Seattle
R8A & SDR-IQ, K9AY antenna