[IRCA] VOA Sao Tome last night

While some friends are enjoying the exotic DX possible in Masset I'm stuck here at home in Alexandria, VA.  Last night saw pretty decent TA reception so I left the Perseus recording across the 0300 utc TOH and caught my first logging of VOA Sao Tome on 1530kHz with Yankee Doodle under WCKY!

<http://realmonitor.com/stations/stp-1530.wav>

Kind of special for me as I visited the site on Sao Tome while we were still negotiating for a relay station there.  It's one of the last IBB MW outlets I hadn't heard from somewhere far away -- most from here in suburban DC ... except for 1575 Thailand which I had to go to Grayland to hear.

Watching 'ghost traces' flow down [or up] the Perseus screen on 1548, 1566 and 1611kHz this morning before sunrise in the hope - perhaps in vain - of some audio!

It's the 'hope' that keeps you going in this hobby.

Bill Whitacre
bw@xxxxxxx
Alexandria, VA
Perseus