[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-22

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-22

Hello All,

It was a morning of fairly average September TP propagation  here,
generally following Nigel's description of the regular Asians at  decent strength,
but the second-tier TP stations having weaker signals. As  usual, however,
there were major exceptions to the script, including a  strong TP mix on 1044
kHz (which Dennis also heard at Grayland, on his  E100), and a bizarre S9
fade-in of 648-Voice of Russia at  1356 (after the TP propagation had
apparently fizzled out, and my  ICF-2010 spotting receiver had been shut off). The
"best bet" Asian lineup  from 639- 675 kHz (639-China, 648-VOR, 657-North
Korea, 666-JOBK, and  675-Vietnam) was back to regular decent strength after
some weakness yesterday,  and 738-Taiwan was restored to its normal strength
(along with a  rough-sounding carrier).

1044 kHz was the most interesting frequency of the morning, as I heard (and
 recorded) the same strong TP mix that Dennis received at Grayland.  Around
1348 there was a real battle on the frequency, apparently  with both Korean
and Japanese voices. The Japanese is undoubtedly CRI's  foreign broadcast
to Japan, but the apparent Korean was a mystery. I searched  for a KBS
parallel to check, but none were at decent strength at the time (972  and 1134 kHz
were in fades). Dennis' Grayland report of pop Asian  music mixing with
China (in Japanese) on 1044 kHz gives additional evidence  that this was
probably the KBS station that we both heard, since Asian pop  music is a standard
KBS format. We probably won't ever be sure, but the 10  kw 1044 kHz KBS
station would be an all-time new Ultralight TP catch,  if confirmed by either of
us in the future. Dennis, thanks again for your very  useful Grayland
reports!

The other strange occurrence here was a full-strength fade in of  648-VOR
right after the band had apparently died at 1355 (with the back yard in  full
sunlight). My ICF-2010 spotting receiver had already been taken  inside,
and I was in the process of wrapping up when I  heard booming music signals on
the "barefoot" SWP, which had fortunately  been left on 648 kHz. I rushed
over to the 9' loop and recorded an S9  signal of Russian music, right after
every TP frequency had been  written off as "dead." This was bizarre enough
to fully awaken  any half-asleep TP-DXer.

The following were heard on a C.Crane SWP model (7.5" loopstick)
inductively coupled to a 9' sided PVC tuned passive loop (in the back  yard):

558  JOCR  Kobe, Japan  Fair strength with Japanese music  around 1307
585  JOPG  Kushiro, Japan  Fair-poor with deep fades around  1309, // 594
594  JOAK  Tokyo, Japan  Good strength Japanese conversation  at 1308
603  HLSA  Namyang, S. Korea  Fair KBS music program  w/CC QRM, 1311
639  CNR1  (China)  Fair to good music and Chinese speech at  1319
648  VOR  Razdolnoye, Russia  Good Chinese program  signals, then weird
           S9 fade-in  after band was "dead"
_http://www.mediafire.com/?tbw4cx2z0wfgm7d_ (http://www.mediafire.com/?tbw4cx2z0wfgm7d)
657  Pyongyang BS, N. Korea Angry shouts from YL  (?) back at full strength
666  JOBK  Osaka, Japan  Fair-good for most of morning with  NHK1 talk
675  VOV  Hanoi, Vietnam  Good strength In and out  with Vietnamese talk
738  BEL2  Penghu, Taiwan  Good Chinese pop music  signals o/KK at 1332
747  JOIB  Sapporo, Japan  Strong Japanese talk over KXL  splatter, 1318
756  CNR1  (China)  Fair strength at 1333 with Chinese music  program
774  JOUB  Akita, Japan Good strength but no match for KTTH  splatter
828  JOBB  Osaka, Japan  Radio English Conversation program  at fair-good
            strength  around 1326
_http://www.mediafire.com/?28mtse9kz7e7m08_ (http://www.mediafire.com/?28mtse9kz7e7m08)
891  JOHK  Sendai, Japan  Poor-fair Japanese talk program at  1335, // 594
972  HLCA  Dangjin, S. Korea  Fair Korean music program  around 1320
1035  CNR1 (China)  Good strength speech and music but deep  fades, 1345
1044  TP-Mix  A strong mix of Japanese (from CRI) and  apparent Korean at
            1348;  KBS // not available to check at the time, but apparent
music
            at  other times  _http://www.mediafire.com/?eu4tqayzt6164or_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?eu4tqayzt6164or)
1053  Korean Jammer  Weaker than usual this morning, with CC  competition
1053  UnID Chinese  Back with the "restaurant music," in and out  at fair
level
            (thanks  to Dennis for his Grayland report on this ID-adverse
station)
1134  TP-Mix  Standard September shootout of JOQR and KBS at good  level
1566  HLAZ  Jeju, S. Korea  Fair-good with Japanese  religious program, 1301
1575  VOA  Ban Rassom, Thailand  Asiatic language program at  poor level,
1300

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock