Re: [IRCA] 690 French Saskatchewan

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 22:15:22 Saul DX wrote:
> Good chance for many of you in the east who need the French-language
>  station in SA not to log it ... heard it last night for third time this
>  month, and I've only checked a handful of times. In the overnight hours.
>  Not //540 860 etc CBCs but remember there's a time zone difference. It is
>  // during news. Nothing else there that would be French, though. Pattern
>  must be a bit outa whack? Mixed last night with WELD and a Spanish
>  station. Have had lots of Cuba there, another I suspect is Colombia
>  (which I've yet to conclusively ID).

Thanks for the heads-up, Saul!  I'd forgotten about your previous report
about this station, but last night I set up to record 690 overnight.  I had
hints of FF in my 0000 EDT recording, but it really improved in the next few
hours after that.  Best reception was at 0400, when they were dominant and
came through with a nice TOH ID: "Vous ecoutez a la Première Chaîne de Radio-
Canada, CBKF en Saskatchewan... il est deux heures".  Also heard at times was
CBU, with CBC news and "CBC Radio One" mentions.  Interesting to note the use
of a callsign ID on the French network, something that has disappeared from
the English network.  CJGX-940 was also very good here last night, indicating
a return to better conditions.

I heard not a whisper from CBKF-1 last fall and winter, when conditions were
better to the west than they are now, so I conclude that they are staying on
day pattern 24/7 at the moment.  I know quite a few of the CBC engineering
folks, and I'm certain that this is inadvertent... in any case, DXers are the
beneficiaries!  Check this one out before they fix it!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON