[IRCA] Re Off the wall question

I remember in the 60s hearing police at night in New Brunswick from somewhere in the eastern states on an old table radio which was tunable up to 1700.I wonder why these frequencies were used when the 136 -and up Mhz band was already in use for emergency and utility services.Was there some reason why skip was necessary in police two way com? Anyone ? Bill in BC