From: HASCALL, DAVID CIV DFAS [mailto:DAVID.HASCALL@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:41 AM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Dennis Gibson; vroomski@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Bruce Williams retires March 5, 2010

Very interesting discussion on Bruce Williams.  Quite interesting
discussion too, about the "other side" of the host.  It's not surprising
what Dennis (Gibson) ran into at all and all that I can say is "you
never know."  I used to be the news director at Anderson Speedway (a
small auto race track) and we had several major races over the 10 years
that I did that.  There were national drivers who were charming on TV
but were the biggest jerks to fans, other media and so on.  Then there
were drivers who were shy around the press but would be the nicest,
funny and outgoing folks that you would ever meet when away from the
center of attention.

I know when I mention Rush Limbaugh, that folks will groan but I
listened to him the first few years that he was on.  His show was
genuinely funny and entertaining.  Then he got full of himself and took
himself way too seriously.  I'm sure that afflicted Bruce Williams, too.

Getting back to Bruce - I listened to him a lot in the 80's and 90's.  I
liked him and we had similar views on lots of stuff.  One show in
particular however, clued me in that he could be a real jerk.  It was
the Monday (IIRC) after a New Years Day weekend.  He lived in NYC and
was returning to his apartment, near Times square.  He was wanting to
cross a busy street and a NYPD officer would not let him do so.  He told
him that he lived in the area and he said "that cop just plain didn't
care" and that he also said "but I'm Bruce Williams of NBC," to which
the cop replied something like "I don't care if you're the Pope, you're
not crossing this street."  So he had to walk three blocks down.  Poor
baby.  If it wasn't bad enough that he even mentioned it (and his Prima
Dona persona) he stayed on the subject of "unruly police" for half of
his show!  He had to know that his story might rub people the wrong way
but I'm guessing that he was too full of himself.  I actually caught
Bruce's show about three weeks ago, during a bandscan but couldn't tell
you on what station.

73,
Dave in Indy