[IRCA] John Bryant

Hello All,

The unpleasant news of John's sudden passing comes as a deep personal
shock to both Guy Atkins and me, since we both knew him very closely, and  have
enjoyed years of his close friendship and guidance. This has included  joint
DXpeditions, joint technical projects, article drafting partnership, etc.
Although Guy certainly enjoyed a much longer friendship with  John, during
the past two years John and I had become very close in our  cooperative
partnership to found, organize, promote and direct the Ultralight  Radio segment
of the AM-DXing hobby.

John had a natural talent for organization, something that a wildly
enthusiastic (but extremely diverse) ULR enthusiast group desperately needed in
late 2007. Our small group was definitely outside of the "mainstream" of the
AM-DXing community at the time, and many of the established DXers viewed us
with  a high degree of skepticism-- doubting even the concept of serious
DXing with  pocket radios. To John's credit, although he was certainly one of
the  "established DXers," he kept an open mind about our enthusiastic
movement,  and discovered (like most of us) that Ultralight Radio DXing was indeed
 thrilling... thrilling enough to rejuvenate his interest in the hobby
itself.

Freely donating his superb organizational talent to the Ultralight Radio
cause, John was instrumental in the creation of the Definitions Committee,
Awards Committee and Contest Committee. When the Yahoo Ultralightdx group was
 founded in early 2008, John's expertise and experience were essential in
establishing the vibrant and fast-growing forum that we enjoy today. John
and I  constantly shared ideas about the challenges facing the Ultralight
Radio movement, such as the impending exhaustion of file space on the  booming
Ultralightdx site. Although we occasionally had our differences of  opinion,
we enjoyed a very deep level of mutual respect, based upon our  cooperative
success (along with many others) in building up this vibrant  sub-group of
the AM-DXing hobby. Ironically John had recently made the decision  to
become a full-time resident of Washington state, and both Guy and I were  looking
forward to spending more time with him.

There isn't much more to write at this point, since like Guy I am still in
a state of shock over this very unpleasant news. Please join us in
expressing your condolences to his family, when the details of the ceremony are
posted.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)