Re: [IRCA] 1040 wandering het: who is it?

Re: [IRCA] 1040 wandering het: who is it?

Fred,

I can confirm your bearing on this from central PA is also on a NW/SE line.
It's currently 2345 UTC (6:45pm ELT) and the signal's strength varies from
very strong to barely there. While the carrier doesn't seem to follow a set
pattern, watching it for a while shows one - the carrier seems to slowly
climb to a maximum frequency of around 1040.34, then slowly fall to a
minimum of around 1040.2, then do a quick reverse and start to climb again.
Here's a copy of the image from a screenshot:

http://www.radiodxing.com/images/1040%20khz%202354%20UTC%202-1-2010.jpg

That inflection point at the minimum is very pronounced each cycle. I don' t
know enough about AM transmitters to know what it might indicate, but maybe
others can detect something useful from it.
<http://www.radiodxing.com/images/1040%20khz%202354%20UTC%202-1-2010.jpg>

I can't hear any audio but will check back at various times of the day to
see if I can make anything out.

Brett Saylor
Central PA
Quantum QX Pro loop