[IRCA] Albuquerque's KALY (1240) – one of the "Radio Disney 6" – goes silent

[IRCA] Albuquerque's KALY (1240) – one of the "Radio Disney 6" – goes silent

>From Radio-Info.com:

This T-R-I Newsletter has been following the progress of Disney's six sell-off
markets since last November and had identified Albuquerque as one of them. Now
the New Mexico Board of Radio-Info.com says that KALY was literally turned off
last week. The first Radio Disney sale was Wichita (KQAM/1480), then this week
West Palm Beach (WMNE/1600) and Norfolk/Tidewater (WHKT/1650). Sounds like
Albuquerque is next. Disney bought the 1-kw fulltimer in 2003 for $650,000.
Based on the haircuts it's been willing to take in Wichita and the other
markets, it won't get $650K when it sells it here in 2010.

At last year's convention KALY-1240 was one of our studio tours. The Station Manager was very nice and she spent a lot of time showing us around and answered all of our questions. She's been in radio a long time and told us about the many stations she's worked at all across the country. Hopefully the new owners will keep her on so she won't have to move again.

Not surprisingly I took a few photos of that tour. Most of these have only been viewed a few times so have a look (BIG HINT; clicking on any photo will enlarge it):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3949618192/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3949619874/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3948841749/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3948842689/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3948843521/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3948844717/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3949624928/in/set-72157622443302904

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/3948847947/in/set-72157622443302904

Here's my set of 35 photos of the towers of Albuquerque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/sets/72157622287895203/detail

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/sets/72157622287895203/show

Several of the photos show KALY's tower; they share a tower with two other stations. It's a four tower array and being a graveyarder they are ND and only use one of the towers. I don't know which one it is. Diplexing is quite common in Albuquerque.

As of January 27 their application to the FCC for "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA" has been "Accepted for filing". Their "Justification for Request" is at the bottom:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?conte
xt=25&appn=101354774&formid=910&fac_num=59687

73