[IRCA] Pre-sunset skip

At least five new catches tonight, including one of my most wanted stations.

There was no discenrable daytime activity today, Sunday, unlike the mess of stuff to VA/WV/MD and NJ all day long Saturday. But things picked up at 1427 when I heard Rod Stewart on 1540 on the east wire. Nabbed WXEX in Exeter NH, which has always evaded me, largely due to powerhouses in nearby Toronto and Albany. I have no idea where Albany was tonight, but the absence of a few normally strong semilocals is part of tonight's story.

On the graveyards, did well with 1240 WWCO CT, 1230 WBLQ RI, voth new, and various relogs and an unID or two to resolve when I listen to my tapes. WBLQ seems like a recent call change.

With NH doing strong on 900 WGAM, with Monarch hockey, I decided it was now or never for // 1250 WGHM. Sure enough I got the // and heard clear references to the Monarchs, and was on 1250 when they scored a goal and made it 2-0 over (if I remember correctly Hartford). No sign of WARE in Ware MA, which is always there behind My Oakville ON semilocal pest when aimed east.

At 1623 I nearly fell outa my chair when, on 1270, I heard "Cap Breton's Country Favourite" and then weather that matched Canadian temperatures. That's Sydney NS, one I've been chasing for a long time. At that point all evidence was to a swing towards MI and WI. I was not looking for CJCB.

Conspicuous by their complete absence: The haitian pirates from MA on 1670, 1700 and 1710. It doesn't take much enhancement to the east for 1710 to make it here good. Yet no sign of it at all; nor any sign of CJEU Ottawa 1670. 1670 was completely vacant. Normally CJEU is strong even in daytime. Both gradually faded in hours later.

Strange that MA would do way better than average on 1530, 1550, 1570, etc... and RI on a GYer, yet no 1710 (for example).

Things seem to have normnalized somewhat. I leave here at 0800 Monday, so not much time left to test things. May get up early to work the east wire, but that means pulling the southwest one completely tonight and packing up. Just might... There's also the Prison Radio, which is always handy for last minute DX.

Saul