[IRCA] Puyallup, WA (very early) TP's for 1-22

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA (very early) TP's for 1-22

Hello All,

With the solar indexes finally becoming more reasonable, a very early
morning (0930-1030 UTC) TP-DXing session was attempted (while the  other, more
sensible, DXers were sound asleep).

With the primary mission of testing out the TP-DXing  performance
difference between a stock Tecsun PL-380 model and a  modified PL-380 (with upgraded
Litz wire on the stock ferrite  bar, requiring only $5 of 40/44 wire), a
search was made at 0930 for any TP's  strong enough to be received by a
barefoot Ultralight-- that is, one without the  most sensitive reputation.

The first search at 0930 was fruitless for TP results-- there was weak
audio on 594-JOAK, 747-JOIB, 774-JOUB and 972-HLCA, but nowhere near the strong
 level required for reception on the barefoot PL-380. This level was
pretty rare even during the best of the mid-winter Night Owl TP sessions, and
appeared impossible at first check this morning. So I temporarily changed  to
LW, and ran a quick LW test on the signal from 368-ZP [in which the
"Stealth"  PL-380 (last 23 seconds) really smoked the stock PL-380 (first 17
seconds)]    _http://www.mediafire.com/?2mtcymnqz5y_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?2mtcymnqz5y)

Anyway, a final check was made on the "big gun" TP frequencies  around 1005
UTC. To my surprise, the signal from 594-JOAK was now booming  in on the
modified ICF-2010, as well as the signals from 747-JOIB,  774-JOUB, 972-HLCA
and others. Some weird solar change must have occurred on the  sun, suddenly
giving the TP's a turbo boost (or, maybe, lack of sleep was  causing a
slight delusion :-) Before my luck changed, I grabbed  the barefoot PL-380 and
recorded the signal of 594-JOAK as received by the  midget stock loopstick
(first 20 seconds), then 594-JOAK's signal on the  "Stealth" PL-380 (last 23
seconds). The booming signal of 594-JOAK on the  modified ICF-2010 certainly
sounded a lot more anemic on the barefoot PL-380,  but at least the relative
sensitivity test was a "booming" success :-)
_http://www.mediafire.com/?udjfydiciht_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?udjfydiciht)

After obtaining my test recording, TP signals fizzled out quickly around
1030 UTC, returning to their normal, night-long mediocre level. But it was
fun  while it lasted.

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver: Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Test Receivers: Barefoot and Modified (40/44 Litz wire upgrade) Tecsun
PL-380 DSP models