[IRCA] Amazing dx from Haida Gwaii

here are a few loggings. i've never experienced such good mw conditions. happy new year!

765 RUSSIA (KARELIA) Radio Rossii, Jan 1 2128 - Surprised to hear this one with EZL music, and then into Russian a few moments later. Fair level. 150 kW from Pedaselga in the Karelia region near Finland. The trans-Polar paths are open!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

873 NORTH KOREA KCBS, Jan 1 1813 - Excellent level with the usual concert fare of a hundred happy voices. Bang on frequency and good modulation. // to SW 3250 (and much stronger). PAL lists them off at 18:00, but they're still going strong. 819's carrier is easily visible but not heard. 882 is not in parallel, but has strident talk by a YL. Also good audio, and on frequency, although there's a het caused by a carrier on 882.42. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

873 RUSSIA (KALININGRAD) Radio Rossii, Jan 1 2130 - A tentative logging for the site,as there are several Russian transmitters on this channel. Fair to good level with traditional Russian singing, and Russian talk. I'll check the TOH for any IDs. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

963 CHINA? CRI, Jan 1 1821 - I'm still hearing CRI in Russian at sometimes very good level. Now my question is whether this is still from China direct, or via Europe (?Pori), since PAL only lists CRI RR between 10:00 and 16:00. Fair splatter from domestic 960. Not noted on 1323. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

999 MOLDOVA ? Sodruzhestvo program, Jan 1 1830 - Another fascinating channel. Often excellent level in Russian. Seemed to be one program to 17:30 and then another. At BOH, it faded down, while a Chinese station faded up to dominate briefly, but the Moldovan transmitter came right back into news. Golos Rossii ID at 18:32:30. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1053 ROMANIA Radio Iasi, Jan 1 1946 - Who's on the channel playing all of the symphonic music on this frequency. Heard the same over an hour ago, and it's still going strong. My suspicion is Radio Iasi in Romania. I might have heard an ID at 19:49. Also mixing with Talksport from the UK weakly. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1089 RUSSIA Radio Rossii, Tbilisskaya, Jan 1 1849 - Under a very loud Chinese station, Russian is clearly heard, making this the interior Russian 1200 kW transmitter at Tbilisskaya. Almost 11:00 am local! Nice Golos Rossii at 18:53. Chinese station dominated until 20:00, but the Russian was totally dominating at 20:06 recheck with Golos Rossii ID. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1098 IRAN IRIB, Jan 1 2146 - Suspect this is IRIB with their 1st program at very good levels at times with middle eastern music. Could also be Bayrak Radio, though, so will have to keep listening, as the latter signs off at 22:00. Darn! Faded down right at 22:00:30 but came back up again 20 seconds later (that's when there was an announcement, and not at the TOH). Nope, still there very strong at 22:09, so presumably Iran. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1134 CROATIA Glas Hrvatske, Jan 1 1903 - Croatian news at good level mixing with a number of other stations, but mostly dominating. By 19:04, either a Chinese or Korean dominated briefly, but by 19:05 Croatia was back clearly in English. Also in the mix was Arabic sounding music. What a wild ionosphere!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1152 SPAIN Radio Nacional 5, Jan 1 1911 - Good reception with a male/female announcers into EZL music. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1188 IRAN Radio Payam, Tehran, Jan 1 2214 - I'm thinking that this is the station hear with fair to at times very good reception with music typical of that part of the world. Listed as 100 kW in Tehran. Male announcer at 22:17 mentioned 'Iran'. Very good point at this point! Sure sounds Farsi to my untrained ear! Into a CSNY song at 22:20. Powerful at 22:30 and into presumed news. I need to pinch myself to assure myself that this is really happening!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1269 GERMANY DLF, Jan 1 1658 - 300 kW from Neumunster puts out quite well, with German talk. One of my first Europeans in our local morning. I'm not surprised after the fun from last night. Simply put, the most amazing propagation I've ever experienced! What a way to celebrate the new year! At 17:00 on came 'This is Moscow' and into VORWS in English. This is a relay from Yunnan, China. Excellent level. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1296 AFGHANISTAN Radio Ashna, Kabul, Jan 1 1731 - Another coup! Often excellent reception with many mentions of Afghanistan in presumed Pushto/Dari. Deep fades, but then comes in very well. Splatter from 1300 domestic. Has the VOA feel, so highly unlikely the listed Azerbaijani station! Wow, it's still super strong at 20:01 with a very nice 'Radio Ashna' ID and finally into some music (mostly it's been a lot of talking!). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1394.866 ALBANIA TWR, Jan 1 2013 - Excellent reception on the off-channel frequency. PAL lists Bosnian to 20:15 Fridays, and then Croatian, but I didn't not any break at 20:15. Het from another transmitter on frequency. All in the clear at 21:12, but not in the listed Polish, from my most recent PAL, but I suspect it's the time change. The previous PAL I have lists winter times, and this would be Croatian, which sounds more like this. Not certain in any case. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1395 HOLLAND The Big L, Jan 1 0027 - Excellent reception with very fast paced modern pop music in English. This station has recently reactivated. A fine signal here in Masset. By far the best night since I've arrived!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1422 CHINA CRI, Jan 1 1550 - Many mentions of CRI and Islamabad and Pakistan, so this must be Kashi, China's Urdu service at very good levels. PAL notes an English service 14:00 to 15:00, so I'll have to check that one out! Other weak cochannels noted. Did fade down (to be replaced by another Chinese station or possibly JORF with music, but then came back a minute or two later. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1440 SAUDI ARABIA General Arabic Programme, Jan 1 2049 - Presumably the Saudi at often very good levels with Arabic music. No sign of any domestic, although at times the Saudi does fade somewhat. I continue to be amazed at this marathon!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1449 IRAN VOIRI, Jan 1 1605 - Often very strong signal in listed Turkmen with central Asian language and many mentions of Iran. Last night's amazing trans-Polar reception continues this morning!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1512 UNID unid, Jan 1 2035 - I'm not sure who this might be. The language sounds central Asian to me. The signal and modulation are both very strong. Possibilities are IRIB, Ardabil with 50 kW listed. Does not sound like the Saudi. Radio Herat, Afghanistan another distant maybe. Finally, there's one of the Chinese minority stations such as Chifeng RGD in Nei Menggu. I also see a Pakistani station on the channel, but not on at this time. The audio is a bit muddy. I have a good mp3 for our language experts out there!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1521 CHINA CRI, Jan 1 1938 - Looking for BSKSA, instead I'm hearing Russian at very good level discussing music in China. I had thought that it might be Mayak, but with all the talk about Chinese music, I suspect it's from Hutubi, Xinjiang according to PAL which lists them on until 19:57. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1548 KUWAIT Radio Sawa, Jan 1 1922 - Armchair copy at very strong level, but there's someone else on the channel, and my guess is Grigoriopol, Moldova which occasionally comes up. PAL lists Bulgarian. Each goes up and down, so it's difficult to know who is dominating! Main transmitter is on 1548.008 while another is on 1547.901 creating a het. Actually, I can see 7 carriers at least, with the strongest to the weaker being: 1548.004, 1547.903, 1548.101, and 1547.981 and several weaker ones too. At 19:30 there was a weak IS for Mayak. No idea from where. Perhaps Moldova? Very fascinating frequency for sure!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1566 SOUTH KOREA HLAZ, Jan 1 1804 - After the Russian program, when I rechecked a few minutes after the TOH, there was an English language lesson at good to very good level, over someone else, but too weak to know. ?AIR. Chinese interpretations briefly. Not listed in my PAL. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1593 KUWAIT Radio Free Iraq, Jan 1 1925 - PAL lists this service from the 150 kW transmitter in Kuwait City. Non-stop Arabic music at fair level makes this a tentative logging. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1611 VATICAN Radio Vaticana, Jan 1 1916 - Good level and excellent modulation of Vatican Radio. PAL lists Romanian at this time. As seems characteristic of the Europeans today, they'll be there at very good level, then fade to oblivion, and then return. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

675 VIETNAM Voice of Vietnam 1, Dec 30 1600 - Exceptionally strong with mentions of Vietnam and fanfare (much like their External Service) at the TOH. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

972 GERMANY NDR Info, Hamburg, Dec 30 2202 - Tentative logging on this one. Before the TOH, I was hearing a Slavic language, sometimes at fair level. At the TOH was English, announcing 22:00 Universal Time and into English. Seems to best fit NDR according to the EMWG. Only 2:00 pm local on the west coast. Farda is still audible with occasional peaks to good on 1575. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1134 CROATIA Radio Croatia, Dec 30 0308 - English news, and then sports. At times very good, but with deep fades at times and splatter from 1130 Vancouver. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1539 UAE VOA Radio Aap Ki Dunyaa, Dec 30 1624 - Absolutely armchair copy with Indian type music, presumably with their Urdu program. Best ever heard here! Still there at great level at 17:10 recheck, but mixing with CNR1,which should be off at 17:35. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1548 SRI LANKA Deutsche Welle, Dec 30 1714 - A very interesting channel. Often excellent levels in German, with DW Europa ID at 17:15. Earlier, around 16:20, I was hearing a cochannel which sounded Asian, perhaps Iran? English between 16:00 and 17:00 noted. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1548 KUWAIT Radio Sawa, Dec 30 1805 - Very good levels, but now with some deep fades with technopop dance music. After 10:00 am local!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1575 UAE Radio Farda, Dec 30 1808 - Good to very good level with Persian music. After 10:00 am local. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

693 BANGLADESH Bangladesh Betar, Dec 31 1714 - Nice ID at 17:14 as 'Bangladesh Betar' and into Indian-type music. Good level, with splatter from CBU 690. Earlier, they were armchair copy. Very clean modulation!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

720 NORTH KOREA KCBS, Dec 31 1504 - A jumble on this frequency. Tuned in at 14:57 to hear a rumble of stations. Then, the well-known Voice of Korea IS began and continued through until the TOH, and then off. The het (from slightly off NK) left, leaving a couple of domestic stations. One played non-stop Christmas carols, plus another domestic. A tough one. I'm suspecting KOTZ was one of the two. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

882 SRI LANKA TWR Sri Lanka, Dec 31 1656 - A fascinating channel for sure. Several co-channels with South Asian sounding talk and male vocal. Most definitely TWR Sri Lanka, as they went into English at 17:00 without an IS, but south Asian accented English with greetings. Several transmitters noted, and this one seems to be on 882.02 according to the Perseus spectrum display. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1323 GERMANY Voice of Russia World Service, Dec 31 0613 - English programming at occasionally good/very good level, but mostly fair to good. Generally a better evening than yesterday which was rather mediocre for trans-Arctic DX to Europe. Still, not as good as my first evening (UTC 29Dec) which seemed best. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6030 ETHIOPIA Radio Oromiya, Jan 1 0324 - Thanks to a tip from Ron Howard in California, I decided to check for this rarely heard station and sure enough at 03:20 tune-in I was already hearing the repetative xylophone-like instrument. This continued to 03:29:30 when there was an announcement in possible French. I don't have access to my home resources, and am not sure whether I have the proper station ID and location. Please confirm or clarify! Very weak, but no sign of Marti or the jammer at my location! Nice ID and very decent reception at 04:00. Whew, what a night!!!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6200 CZECH REPUBLIC Radio Prague, Jan 1 0413 - Good reception with their New Year's Eve program. MUF must be quite low, as there are lot's of fades evident, but otherwise fairly decent reception. Easy banter between hosts. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

1566 SOUTH KOREA HLAZ, Dec 29 1757 - Very good reception with Russian religious sermon. ID given as Radio Theo at 17:59. Mentioned the South Korean transmitter on 1566. Transmitter cut at 17:59:30. Weaker time pips at 18:00 followed by English, and then ?CC translation. Then, Yankee Doodle. English lesson, as they mentioned, 'today we are going to talk about the problem of pollution'. Suddenly improved markedly by 18:02. Not listed in the most recent PAL. I'm assuming that this is still HLAZ, but I'm not 100% sure. Not a religious program at all. More akin to VOA!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4765 TAJIKISTAN Tajik Radio, Dec 29 1715 - Good to very good reception with local music and presumed Tajik speaking YL announcer. Checked their FS on 7245. Someone there, but too weak to be sure who. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4780 DJIBOUTI RTV Djibouti, Dec 29 1727 - African (more high life than Horn of Africa style) at fair level. Brief talk at 17:30, and right into more music (this time more Horn of Africa style). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4810 INDIA AIR Bhopal, Dec 29 1733 - Fair level with English news by YL. Off when rechecked at 17:43. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4828 ZIMBABWE Voice of Zimbabwe, Dec 29 1735 - Just at threshold, and not able to make out much content. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4850 UNID unid, Dec 29 1735 - Big open carrier first noted last night, and still there now. No idea who this may be. Continues there on the 30th. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4880 SOUTH AFRICA SWR Africa, Dec 29 1741 - Poor reception with English noted. Political talk as usual. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4895 SOUTH AFRICA Zimbabwe Community Radio, Dec 29 1753 - Already present at 17:53 tune-in with light piano fare to 17:54:30. Seemed to come on in talk at 17:56:20. Just above threshold level. Better on the 30th with fair reception at 18:35 tune-in. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4930 BOTSWANA Voice of America, Dec 29 1745 - VOA programming with English ID for the VOA from Washington at fair to good level. Rest of program in African accented English. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4949.79 ANGOLA Radio Nacional, Dec 29 1736 - Presumed logging, as there are 2 stations cochannel with het. The 4950 is presumably AIR Srinigar. Too weak to make much out. Threshold audio only. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4975 TAJIKISTAN Voice of Russia, Dec 29 1748 - Very good reception with an instrumental ?Christmas song. One of the stronger stations heard at this time (9:48 AM local). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

5915 ROMANIA Radio Romania International, Dec 29 2351 - Excellent reception about an author. Parallels of 6015, and 7220 equally good, while 7300 was just audible under a Chinese station. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6240 MOLDOVA (PMR) Radio PMR, Dec 29 2343 - Tuned into the end of the program with details in French, then into IS, once, and into German. Good reception. Announced to Europe and North America. Usual thick with politics (1st story starts with Pres. Smirnov). Checked on the 30th and they weren't there at 22:35, so perhaps off for the New Year. Will see whether VOR shows at 00:00. Whoops, I suspect they don't start until 23:15...old information, I suppose. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6925 CANADA Radio True North, Dec 29 2330 - Very strong pirate, announcing that they were broadcasting from the west coast of Canada. A bit difficult to pin point the frequency...perhaps wondering a bit between 6925 and 6925.5. For some reason, my AOR 7030+ and Perseus SDRs had trouble demodulating. They announced, 'This is Radio True North, broadcasting from the west coast of Canada' at 23:33. Marred after the announcement by a harsh whistle. If this indeed is a Canadian pirate, that would be quite rare! Last heard a BC pirate perhaps 10 years ago (Radio Free Vernon, I think it was called). Another canned ID at 23:46 giving an email address as 'Radiotruenorth@hotmail(dot)'. No com heard! Will have to send them an email when I go into town in a few days!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7580 EGYPT Radio Cairo, Dec 29 2354 - Very good reception with Arabic male vocal. Rather good modulation for a change! At 00:12 noted an Arabic language lesson, and yes, the modulation could be a bit better!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

10320 USA (HAWAII) AFN, Dec 29 1810 - No signs of them either last night nor today. Hopefully not gone for good?. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

15215 LIBYA Voice of Africa, Dec 29 1707 - Very good reception with French program, followed by an African song with 'Africa, Africa, Africa' noted in the French song. I might have thought that it sounded rather Caribbean! Parallel 11965 only poor. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

15235 SOUTH AFRICA Channel Africa, Dec 29 1710 - English programming with short/long path echo effect at very good level. Young woman describing her experience with the South African embassy in Egypt. An activist in the middle east. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

2368.48 AUSTRALIA Radio Symban, Dec 30 1455 - Snippets of audio heard this morning. Also checked for the other reported private SW station on 2355. My Perseus SDR shows a very faint tracing on the waterfall, but that's all. No where close to audio. Nothing at all on 3210. Definite audio but much weaker than in August, when rechecked at 15:39. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

3960 LITHUANIA VOIRI, Dec 30 1517 - Fair reception with clearly Russian talk, making this from Lithuania. Also another transmitter on 3959.768 which may be North Korea. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4319 DIEGO GARCIA AFN, Dec 30 1635 - Fair to good reception with CNN news. Still nothing from Hawaii noted. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

5015 INDIA AIR Delhi, Dec 30 1830 - I'm suspecting that this was the buzzy transmitter that was here with an OC until off at 18:30. Less likely Turkmen Radio. Strong reception. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

5050 CHINA Beibu Bay Radio, Dec 30 1522 - Excellent reception with Chinese duet. Then lots of Vietnamese talk. No English ID heard as was observed recently, at 15:30. AIR presumably barely audible cochannel. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

5830 UKRAINE RUI, Dec 30 2218 - English program for Europe at poor to fair level. Male announcer has a very distinctive voice (as does the YL), identifiable from their Hello From Kyiv program. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6040 SLOVAKIA Radio Slovakia International, Dec 30 0126 - Fair to good reception of RSI's English program with Slovakia Today program and then s/off announcements at 01:26, followed by IS and English, 'You are listening to Radio Slovakia International'. Barely audible cochannel. Slovak ID at 01:28. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6095 CHINA CNR 1, Dec 30 1933 - On yet another Chinese attempt at jamming RFA, I hear multiple, slightly out of phase transmitters extremely strong over just barely audible RFA. Carrying CNR1 in the clear. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6115 CONGO Radio Congo, Dec 30 1824 - Highly tentative reception at threshold level. I'm measuring exactly 6115.000 on the Perseus. Apparently no one else listed at this time. Very weak talk, but I can't identify the language. Worth keeping an eye on, though. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6120 IRAN VOIRI Voice of Justice, Dec 30 0131 - As Glen Hauser has mentioned, both frequencies are bad choices. 6120 is strong enough, but suffers from almost equal strength cochannel from a middle eastern sounding station (?CNR Urumqi?), while 7250 is obliterated by another Chinese station. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6155 BELARUS Radio Belarus, Dec 30 2213 - Good reception in English with schedule and contact details. Radio-stationbelarus@?? mentioned. Accent is a little difficult to follow. Other reported // (7360 poor, and 7390 at threshold). This one is 250 kW. Into music at 22:15. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7100 NORTH KOREA Voice of Korea, Dec 30 1837 - Armchair level with French language programming. Excellent accent too. Difficult to hear any kind of Korean accent. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7105 CHINA Nei Menggu PBS, Hohhot, Dec 30 2228 - Arm chair level Chinese with lots of ads. Not sure whether this is Nei Menggu or not, but found it on an old DBS survey. Marshall music, and Dientai mentioned at 22:30. // noted 9520, but out of sync, with 7105 about 2 sec behind 9520. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7110 ETHIOPIA Radio Ethiopia, Dec 30 1508 - Fair to good reception in presumed Amharic with rapid speaking male and short music bridges. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7110 ETHIOPIA Radio Ethiopia, Dec 30 1840 - Another arm chair copy this morning with very enjoyable Horn of Africa male vocalist. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7165 ERITREA ?Voice of the Broad Masses of Eritrea, Dec 30 1510 - Fair reception, but with two transmitters noted. One's on 7164.977 and the other on 7165.267. Both are equal strength, but causing a loud het. Also ham QRM. The upper frequency seems to be the one carrying the VOBME programming. Nothing noted on 7175. Mostly talk. Possibly also jammed (?the lower frequency?). Tough to sort out. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7175 ERITREA Voice of the Broad Masses of Eritrea, Dec 30 1848 - 2nd program listed at good level with talk,in presumed Eritrean. News seemingly at 18:58 re-check, with many mentions of Somalia. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7180 NORTH KOREA Voice of Korea, Dec 30 2227 - Pyongyang in the amateur band with their choir singing to the glory of their dear leader. Fair to good reception. Not sure of the language service. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7200 SUDAN Sudan RTVC, Dec 30 1847 - Fair reception with mix of talk and African/Arabic sounding music. Not nearly as strong as the old days when I used to hear them on 8000 kHz, as I recall. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7210 ERITREA VOBME, Dec 30 1908 - First program listed with Horn of Africa music (and similar to 7175), but suffering from moderate adjacent splatter. Fair level. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7320 ALASKA KNLS, Dec 30 1726 - Only fair reception of their Russian language broadcast. Normally much better than this. Normal religious fare. Suffers from a lot of splatter from 7325 which has 2 very strong stations. One in Russian (?BBC from Cyprus) and another middle eastern language (?CRI?). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7345 SLOVAKIA RSI, Dec 30 1942 - Good to very good reception in English with weak cochannel(s), and some 7335 splatter. Story about a Slovakian museum. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7440 UKRAINE Radio Ukraine International, Dec 30 0000 - Interesting clash between RUI in Ukraine and presumed Voice of Burma via Wertachtal, both at about equal levels (both well heard). Haven't noticed this clash in Victoria. Cultural program for RUI in Ukrainian. At same time, 5830 was audible at fair level with RUI's German program. Many mentions of Yulia Tymoshenko (the present prime minister, and hoping to become president in January). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7465 ALBANIA Radio Tirana, Dec 30 1945 - Lovely IS up to 19:45, and then into English with schedule. The IS was very strong, while the YL is quite a lot weaker, so perhaps it was a sign-off of another station? Nothing heard on the 11635 to North America frequency (7465 is to UK). (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7510 UKRAINE RUI, Dec 30 1956 - Fair reception in Ukrainian to Europe, but totally marred by UTE interference on both sides of the channel. IS at 20:00 and into English. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7520 THAILAND Radio Farda, Dec 30 2006 - Excellent reception with Persian music, and exactly in sync with it's MW parallel of 1575 (also very good). All this at local noon in Masset!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7570 THAILAND Radio Thailand, Dec 30 1909 - Good to very good reception in English to Europe, except for cochannel Voice of Korea, Pyongyang in Spanish, which at times over-powers Thailand in strength. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9650 UAE Polish Radio, Dec 30 1817 - Very good reception with English. Always an enjoyable program (I often listen while travelling in Europe...one of the better SW broadcasters, IMHO). Discussing wine making in Poland. Parallel 6130 not audible. Even better at 18:54 UTC at armchair level, with Polish news summary. Sign off annoucement at 18:57. Gave an email address to write as Englishsection@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx . Normally a really tough DX target in western North America, so very welcome to monitor this one so well. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9680 THAILAND Radio Thailand, Dec 30 0010 - Good reception, except for splatter from extremely strong CNR on 9675. English programming. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9735 SOUTH AFRICA Deutsche Welle, Dec 30 2006 - Fair reception with English via Meyerton. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9780 YEMEN Radio Saana, Dec 30 1821 - Looking for Radio Echo of Caucausis and instead likely came across Sa'ana on 9780.144, although I can see a weak carrier on 9780. Threshold level also noted on 9525 which is likely the RFE/RL program. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9855 IRAN VOIRI, Dec 30 1936 - English programming to South Africa heard best here at good level, while 11695 is fair, and to Europe 6010 is just audible, while 7320 is obliterated by Radio Rossii from Kamchatka and 6040 via Lithuania not audible. Interesting that the 7320 frequency has an irritating time pip around every 1 1/2 seconds followed by a data burst. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

11510 EGYPT Radio Cairo, Dec 30 1912 - Just above threshold with English program for West Africa. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

11605 RWANDA Deutsche Welle, Dec 30 1949 - Very good level with Russian programming via Kigali. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

11660 AUSTRALIA Radio Australia, Dec 30 2005 - Fair to good reception in English, with a favourable beam to North America (thanks to Glenn Hauser for the frequencies!). News program. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

11690 SOUTH AFRICA Deutsche Welle, Dec 30 1912 - Very good level, with minimal UTE interference with English programming via Meyerton relay site. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

15550 USA WJHR, Dec 30 1812 - First time I've heard this one from Milton, FL. At poor to fair level in USB with preaching. I suspect that this one will get stronger as our short day goes on. Fair to good level at 19:54 recheck. ID at 20:02 after a brief hymn, and then back into the 40 years of recorded sermons!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

4765 TAJIKISTAN Radio Tajikistan, Dec 31 0156 - Good reception except for some deeper fades in presumed Tajik. Actual frequency measured on 4765.061 on the Perseus SDR. Seems to be // to very weak 7245 at 02:05 when checked. I'm not 100% certain of this, though. Listening further, I don't think that's the case. 7245 is usually the FS, and I've rarely heard them on the west coast. The 60m channel is far easier to hear. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

5940 RUSSIA Govorit Magadan, Dec 31 0213 - Right at 02:10, both 5940 and 7320 cut to a local Magadan program, while 7140 and 7200 stayed with the network Radio Rossii feed. Both at excellent levels. Lot's of New Year's greetings. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6100 ROMANIA Radio Romania International, Dec 31 0622 - French language programming with only occasional dropouts. DReaM software states this is 'Transradio Bln.' with Stereo at 20.96 kbps. ID and schedule for B09 announced at 06:24. Surprised at how well it came in from Europe at this time of the night! One of my rare European DRM transmissions I've actually demodulated. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

6190 CHINA Xinjiang PBS, Urumqi, Dec 31 0133 - No sign of Belgrade. Instead, a very powerful Xinjiang in Mongolian (listed), parallel to 4500 (also good/very good), which is a fraction of a second ahead of this frequency. A very unusual language...difficult to place! Lot's of mentions of Urumqi. Another armchair copy!. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7140 RUSSIA Radio Rossii, Dec 31 0132 - Another 'intruder' in the amateur band. Very good reception with Russian New Year programming, // to 7320, 5940 and 7200. My Perseus database lists this as Yakutsk at 20 kW. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7190.083 SRI LANKA ?SLBC, Dec 31 0120 - Fair reception with what sounds like a sermon. Initially I was sure that it was in English, but it's not now for sure. The preacher may have given an address initially. My Perseus database states SLBC in Hindi, so perhaps this is it. Confirmation needed. At 01:27 there was definitely a hymn sung, (What a friend we have in Jesus), so very likely SLBC which has many Christian programs. Indian style music at 01:30, so almost certainly SLBC. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

7200 RUSSIA Radio Sakha, Dec 31 0448 - Unknown language at armchair levels. ?Indigenous programming, with the odd Russian word, like 'Rossiska Federatsiya'. Also // 7140, but not 5940 or 7320 which are carrying Radio Rossi network programming. Back into Russian mentioning Vladivostok at 04:51. Mentioned the Radio Company Sakha, so this must be the program, Radio Sakha. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9770.19 SRI LANKA SLBC, Dec 31 0113 - Presumably them with pop music, but very weak. (Walter Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

9970 BELGIUM RTBF, Dec 31 2215 - Tried to listen to the last broadcast from RTBF, but it was just barely above the noise floor. I could hear talk up to 22:15 when there was music of some sort, perhaps the National anthem?. This continued past 22:17, so perhaps they would sign off at 23:15 after all? No carrier, though, noted at 22:17:45 when rechecked. So they are gone for good