[IRCA] Puyallup, WA (very early) TP's for 11-28

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA (very early) TP's for 11-28

Hello All,

Having been unimpressed by the mediocre TP's during recent sunrise  DXing
sessions, I decided to try something radically different --  setting up the
large PVC loops in the back yard at 1045 UTC (0245 local), and  trying my TP
luck during the Asian sunset.

Of course, normal people do not engage in such activities in the early
morning, so it was a major challenge to avoid notice by my family and
neighbors (not to mention the police). After setting up the loops at 1030 UTC as
quietly as possible, I was immediately rewarded with TP signals much stronger
than the recent anemic sunrise variety.

All of the Japanese and Korean powerhouses (594, 747, 828, and  972 kHz)
had strong and steady audio around 1045, in contrast to  their dicey sunrise
strength recently. 1287-JOHR also had strong  audio, as Patrick reported.
Even 1503-JOUK had weak NHK1 audio, and 756-CNR1 was  at a steady level. TP
signals had not been so good across the band for at  least 2 weeks here.

Around 1059 I tuned into 738 kHz, and found two Mandarin Chinese ladies
competing for the frequency at a fairly good level:

  _http://www.mediafire.com/?immoxw1d1yj_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?immoxw1d1yj)

One of these was undoubtedly Taiwan Fisheries, but the other was apparently
 a Mainland Chinese station being boosted by its local sunset  propagation.
These two Chinese stations competed until the TOH news at 1100  UTC, when
the Taiwan Fisheries lady apparently won the battle.

 _http://www.mediafire.com/?oin14yhmmin_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?oin14yhmmin)

Both 648-VOR and 657-Pyongyang had strong signals around 1405,  although
Pyongyang's audio was again seriously down relative to  its powerful warbling
carrier. 603-HLSA had strong KBS2 music, without  the weak NHK and Chinese
co-channels that frequently show up at our sunrise. In  general, the
powerhouse TP's had no competition at all on their frequencies,  unlike the November
sunrise sessions when obscure co-channel TP's seem to come  out of
nowhere).

So despite the extremely inconvenient hour, it was probably a good  idea to
check out the TP's this early morning. For a DXer nostalgic  for the strong
TP's of mid-October (and secure in his family relationships :-),  it's
probably an option to be considered.

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main Receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5  IF
filter)
9' and 7.5' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the cold back yard)