[IRCA] Pacific DX report for Nov 27th, 2009: Leaving Kona

[IRCA] Pacific DX report for Nov 27th, 2009: Leaving Kona

Well it's back to the heavy seas as we leave the Hawaiian islands bound for LA. After a reprieve for the 3 days there (Honolulu, Kona, and Hilo) it's right back to how things were leaving Samoa! Thankfully I'm relatively immune to the motion, although my poor wife is rather green at the moment, despite the scopolamine patch and Gravol! She's gone to bed (and it's only 7:30 pm!) I was sorry to have missed Colin Newell in Kona, as he was leaving while we had just arrived. When we left Kona, I attempted a bit of DXing on the aft Lido deck, but with all of the howling winds, I gave up after a short while. A few observations, though:

747: NHK2 was there at fair level already at 07:00. Didn't notice the other NHK2 (nor 1st tier NHK1) transmitters at the same time, though.

1200:  CJRJ really putting in a fine signal with Indian music at 07:22.

1130: Vancouver traffic under a cochannel religious station (presumably KPHI, Honolulu)

730:  Vancouver traffic at fair to good level.

1610: 2 TIS stations noted here. One was a continuous female giving a www site and a phone number, while there was another station which may have been an airport TIS. Colin, did you spend any time on 530 or 1610? Love to know what you heard here. One thing that did emerge was the negative effect my iRiver had on the sensitivity of really weak stations. I found that my Eton did not perform quite as well with the iRiver 795T hooked up to the Eton (earphone jack out into the input on the iRiver). Either it introduced a slight bit of noise, or it cut the sensitivity somehow slightly. I could hear the TIS stations when listening directly to the Eton, but not via the iRiver. Not sure why. Today, by the way, while driving up Kilauea volcano, I heard nothing on 1610. Rather the Volcano TIS there was on 530 only.

That's it for a very short report. Not sure whether I'll try any more as the weather is really not very conducive to active DXing outside. Take care! ........Walt