[IRCA] In Hawaii - Playing with something new

[IRCA] In Hawaii - Playing with something new

One of the equipment sponsors for the Kona trip
was PK Loop Antennas of Victoria, Australia

As little as 3 weeks prior to the Hawaii trip
I had never heard of them - the owner, a ham
and former telecom-TV engineer decided that
what Australia needed was a gadget to aid AM
listening in their huge country - so he cooked
up some passive and active magnetic loops.

He sent me one of their sample passive loops
that is tunable from 500 to 1800khz -

And I am impressed - have been using it with the
E100 slider -- although I should have waited a
day before giving away the stock E100 --
as it is really made for any AM radio or ULR with
its stock ferrite antenna.

I find it particularly useful for boosting what
the E100 can already do as modified by Gary DeBock
in that one can get a signal boost and also phase
out undesirable QRN (noise) and adjacent interference.

I will get some photos of it in action on dxer.ca at some
point. According to the engineer of the company, they
have sold over 3000 units in under 2 years - which
is staggering in this economy.
Their website is www.amradioantennas.com
--
Colin Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Blog - Coffee DOT BC DOT CA