Re: [IRCA] Logging a complete state

Willis,

It WAS easier in the sixties to hear stations at a distance, especially daytime. From West Sacramento, using only a 75' longwire I could hear the 250 watter from Bakersfield daily with a decent signal on 800 kHz & the 1 kw from Bakersfield on 550 easily. The noise level was so much less, with TV being the worst offender. Oh to have that problem now :-) .

Don K.

texas4421@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Don-
When I was stationed on Treasure Island, back in the mid 60's, I logged most of the bay area and central California stations. All with a portable radio. Seems as if it was easier back then, not sure if it was because I was younger or there wasn't as many stations on the air.
Willis

5-6 years ago when I was still quite active on AM and my noise problems had not reached their current horrible level, I had reduced my needed Californians to 12. Considering how many stations there are in the state I felt pretty good about that. However, that figure has risen considerably since then. I did have all of Nevada heard but they've added a bunch of stations since then as well. Back in the 50s dxing from NW Iowa I had all of the then broadcasting AM stations in the state EXCEPT KMPC in Muscatine on 860.

Don K.
S.F. CA