[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-1... Late 594 kHz Chinese Co-channel

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-1... Late 594 kHz Chinese Co-channel

Hello All,

For almost all of this morning's listening (from 1330-1450), my TP-chasing
results were very similar to those reported by Bruce and Nigel. Low average
was  about the best description, with not only the high and mid-band TP's
seriously down in strength from typical October levels, but even the low
band stations like 603-HLSA and 738-Taiwan seeming pretty anemic. I was
waiting  for a sunrise enhancement around 1435, which seemed to be non-existent.
The  situation seemed hopeless, so I started taking down the loops in the
back yard.

Suddenly at 1442 a weak co-channel appeared under 594-JOAK on  the "backup"
Ultralight (the new Tecsun PL-310 DSP model). I assumed that  this would be
the usually weak KBS1 Korean that had mixed with JOAK several  days last
week-- but it certainly wasn't. It was clearly Mandarin Chinese,  and had a
completely different programming content than the music-oriented KBS1  station
(female-voiced news, apparently).

Within a minute (at 1443) the 594 kHz UnID Mandarin Chinese had come to
overpower JOAK's NHK1 program, and dominated the frequency for about a  one
minute period (fortunately caught on an MP3 recorded on the  PL-310,
inductively coupled to the 6' sided PVC tuned passive  loop in the back yard). The
Chinese signal was gone almost as suddenly as  it came, with JOAK reclaiming
the frequency around  1446, and completely without competition one minute
later. The entire episode seemed like a Halloween thriller.

I know that John and several others have reported this Chinese co-channel
on 594 mixing with JOAK, and the station was certainly booming in here this
morning for a short period. There was no sign of the KBS1 station this
morning,  but it's obvious that these two co-channels are very different, with
distinctly recognizable programming. The PL-310 recording of the UnID
Chinese  dominating the 594 kHz frequency was made in a hurry on the "backup" 6'
loop,  but it certainly has the Chinese station at a strong level-- almost
making the  NHK1 signal sound like a "JOAK." (sorry!)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver (this morning):  Stock Tecsun PL-310 DSP ultralight  (the $40
wonder)
6' "Nasty Weather" tuned passive loop (in the back yard)