[IRCA] Off the grid - A tribute to IRCA

On Monday evening, of this week, I was perusing the IRCA
reprints from the the mid-seventies and started writing
a bit of a tribute to the solidarity, brotherhood and sisterhood
of the radio hobby - how it has changed my life and engendered and
fostered lasting friendships.

(And then)Around 8PM my phone rang and I was summoned to a local
hospital to be with a dear family member (my mother-in-law) who succumbed
to a long and exhausting illness.

In the end, she went quickly and peacefully - something we could
only wish for and hopefully achieve in our own personal journey
through life.

What is kind of ironic were my thoughts leading up to that evening
on something as simple as a subscription to a hand-printed newsletter
from the seventies and how, by chance, I requested a free sample so
many years ago - that so many lasting friendships have been cast and hewn
by the fires of time and have resisted every challenge - including
death.

My thanks go out immediately to the local group of DXers and enthusiasts
who immediately joined hands with me that evening - and now to the
rest of you, whose brotherhood and sisterhood grows stronger.

One of the last things my mother-in-law said to me was...
"You make sure that you take your wife to Hawaii..."

We booked the vacation condo over a year ago and there was much doubt
that we would make that trip scheduled for November. Everyone is
saying the same thing... "Go! It is what she would have wanted you to do..."

Best wishes, hugs and handshakes to all.

--
Colin Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Blog - Coffee DOT BC DOT CA