Re: [IRCA] More 1170 kHz TP Follies-- VOA with African Music at 1420 UTC?

Re: [IRCA] More 1170 kHz TP Follies-- VOA with African Music at 1420 UTC?

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the tip about checking the Euro-African and Middle Eastern
station listings, when investigating UnID's during our sunrise TP chasing.

In this case of the booming 1170 kHz non-Korean/Japanese/Chinese foreign
language station, Bruce's explanation of the Indian language program on KLOK
sounds very likely, though. Its signal strength on the peaks (9+)  was
probably too much to be coming from Europe, Africa or the Middle  East.

So I guess the final assessment of my 1170 Khz loggings over the past two
days is a mixture of KPUG, KLOK, the KBS station (HLSR) and a presumed CNR1,
 which I will check against the 5030 parallel at the first  opportunity.
Quite possibly the Indian language program on 1170 kHz will  fool some DXers
into thinking they have received the exotic catch of their  lifetimes :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 10/21/2009 2:34:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
salmaniw@xxxxxxx writes:

At 09:07  AM 10/21/2009, you wrote:
>The African music (and a brief section of  African-sounding language) was
>recorded at 1416 when the signal  was booming in at a "9", completely
blanking
> out KPUG and the  presumed KBS station. Can anyone confirm that
>VOA-Phillipines-1170 has an African music program around 1420 UTC? If  so,
there  would
>probably be three separate TP's that are being  received in the null of
>KPUG--- VOA-Philippines, the KBS  station, and the CNR1 Chinese station
heard
>yesterday. Any help  would be appreciated.

Gary, it's always important never to  forget the Middle Eastern and
Euro-African stations that are present, and that  very occasionally, we can also
hear on the WCNA.  The prime example is  Radio Farda, of course, on 1575 which
I've heard numerous times in the  morning, including earlier this week.
1170 has 24 hour Al-Dhabbayah with  Radio Sawa listed beamed 360 deg from UAE
(just like Farda), so this should be  receivable here on the west coast.  I
also note that there's TWR  Swaziland and Djibouti listed as well, but those
would be really tough  catches!  Do check the EMWG as well as PAL!
....Walt

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org