[IRCA] TP's in Seattle - much better than yesterday

[IRCA] TP's in Seattle - much better than yesterday

Today's TP DX was much better than yesterday.

To begin with, I managed a couple of logs on the car radio while traveling to work: 747 with the usual English lessons at about 1355 popping through the KXL splat for a moment, and VOA-1575 surfacing for a minute or so in a SE Asia language at about 1410. There were lots of hets, too, but writing them down while driving 65 mph in the dark seemed like a bad idea. I also had a het on 819 and traces of audio, not bad with a 10 kw local on 820, but the audio could have easily been a domestic instead of N Korea. This was the third time this season for 747, the first time this season for 1575, although I heard it once last year on the car rx.

Meanwhile, back home, the SDR-IQ was recording merrily away, and the Icom R-75 was pulling out Navtex stuff on 518- I finally bagged my first TP Navtex reception in the form of a "Vital Warning for Naha Navtex Area", something about a typhoon near Okinawa. I've "heard" that one and many Navtex TP's at Grayland, but this was the first time from home.

More standard TP stuff included the following highlights (roughly but not quite in time order):

1278   JJ talk weak 1058, CC pips at ToH weak
1278   JJ man & woman fair 1058, played song across ToH
720   Sounded like N Korea, good strength but mixing w/computer noise 1308
693 774  & 747 good w/wx 1302
657  YL tirade 1301
756   weak CNR pips & theme mx 1300
738 good carrier, weak audio (as was the case with many stations), KBS pips 1300
729   Mix of CC & JJ 1259, mix of pips at ToH fair
855   Female rant in KK good on 855.05 at 1332
936   Good carrier, weak CC talk 1331, probably Anhui
918   Flute mx & CC talk weak 1331, probably Shandong
891 bits of talk in CJDC/KIXI splat, 1330, didn't sound JJ/CC/KK, so possibly Thailand
972   KK news, stronger than 970, unid w/woman in CC in background 1402
945 & 981 both weak w/pips & CC talk in heavy splatter 1400
909   NHK pips weak 1400
828   NHK pips & another set about equal in strength 1400
1557 Unid, Asian talk 1400, maybe WYFR-Taiwan, stronger than 1566 but severe 1550 splatter
1422   Man in JJ 1436 good
1512   Asian talk, decent signal but heavy 1520/1510 splatter 1446
1575 VOA Thailand, nice signal 1330 "You're listening to the V of America, Washington DC", then Yankee Doodle, "the following pgm is in Burmese", then YL w/nx in Burmese 1476 Mystery 1426-1440 light pop mx & unid talk, fair signal at times but too much domestic splatter to ID language, general flavor of mx & talk made me think Filippino, but that's likely just wishful thinking.
Overall, an interesting morning.

Bruce in Seattle
SDR-IQ receiver, K9AY antenna