Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-20... More Fun

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-20... More Fun

Hi Nick,

Yes, I remember the discussion over Walt's initial 1170 Chinese MP3 made at
 1358 on 9-9, in which the Chinese dialect was clearly identified here as
Mandarin, not Cantonese. I believe that Bill Harms also mentioned that VOA
would have a Cantonese program at the time of Walt's recording, not
Mandarin. From what I recall, the conclusion was that Walt was not receiving
VOA-Phippines, in that September 9 MP3.

This morning the 1170 Chinese station format sounded very much like the
typical CNR1 programming (with Chinese music), but the signal dipped below  a
loud KBS signal before any check could be made of a parallel. I don't know
if  VOA Philippines would play Chinese music or not during their Cantonese
program,  but Bruce's recent Grayland report mentioned CNR1 mixing with KBS on
1170, both  over KPUG. The Chinese station received this morning is  still
an UnID mystery, and will be investigated more here in the  next few days.
Meanwhile, I have my own 1170 mix MP3 of both TP's,  winning the battle over
KPUG :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 10/20/2009 10:44:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nhp@xxxxxxxx writes:

At 16:40  10/20/2009, you wrote:

>KPUG is pretty far from here, so it  was easy to null on the 9' loop.
>Although the null bearing  wasn't ideal for Korea, it didn't  matter
during great
>TP  propagation (like this morning). Sure enough at  1411, there was a
>Chinese music station mixing with KPUG's much-reduced signal,   then the
KBS 500 kw
>station HLSR joined in a minute later (with Korean  talk,  then non-Korean
>foreign-type music). The Chinese music  station was UnID, but it  may
possibly
>have been the CNR1  reported by Bruce in his excellent Grayland  report
(in
>the  current DXM).

Isn't  VoA Philippines supposed to broadcast  Cantonese until 1500UT,  Gary?

Nick

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org