[IRCA] TP report for 12Oct09 from Masset: a strange but gratifying morning!

[IRCA] TP report for 12Oct09 from Masset: a strange but gratifying morning!

TP Report for 12 October, 2009 from Masset:  The last kick at the can, and what an
interesting morning it was!

Monitored this morning between 13:09 until 16:30, followed
by the mad dash to disassemble my set-up and catch the morning flight back to
Vancouver and onward to Victoria.  I’m
typing this waiting for the Victoria connection at YVR.  SF70, A7, K1.
Once again it was very obvious that conditions were quite disturbed and
highly variable.  The usual CC/KK/JJ
stations were not heard nearly as well as usual.  Instead, I concentrated on some highly
fascinating, rarely heard stations in the Indian subcontinent.  Because of this, there were large parts of
the band not looked at as I focused on these rarities!

LW:  153, 189, 279 all
heard with latter two “9”, and the first a 7.

531:  9 level JJ with
music cochannel at 13:15 tune-in

549:  6

576:  Mayak:  finally heard the Russian here at fair level
at 13:35.  Not the absence of NHK1 on 567
at the same time….knew things were strange!

594:  Finally good
copy on Tokyo at 9 level at 13:37

603:  Ditto for the KK
at 8+ level

648:  7 level.  Sounds like VV music

666:  9 level RR at
13:40, // to 576.  Later cochannel JJ at
13:46

675:  Lovely 9 level
signal from VV, and a het from 675.9.
Strange!

680:  KBRW again in at
excellent levels, but with periods of fade.

684:  CC on first go
at 13:45, then noted cochannel at 13:47.
Back and forth confirmed this to be AIR Andaman Is.  A pile-up at 14:14, but became obvious at
14:15 and clearly // to 4760.  They
continued to improve and by 15:05 were at good level.  At 15:21, they dominated the frequency
completely and I’d consider them to be “9” level, much better than the SW //
.  Peaked around 15:23.  What joy!
Second time I’ve heard them in Masset, but a HD failure the last time
caused me to lose all the audio!

693:  NHK2 at 9 level
initially, but with Bangladesh cochannel at 13:53.  Not as armchair as yesterday.

711:  KBS1 at 9 level
at 13:57 as well as a strong jammer.

720:  CNR2 and North
Korea on 719.9 both heard early, and later KOTZ well heard with prolonged
weather forecast at 14:30.  For some
reason KOTZ has always eluded me, so nice to hear so well, but again with those
long fades too!

729:  8 level JJ, but
also heard a very strange IS at 14:00.
No idea who’d have an IS here.  It
was repeated a number of times before the TOH.
Ideas?

738:  Taiwan
Fisheries, // to 1143 and another ?KBS1 at 8 level

747:  JJ at 9 level at
14:07

756:  KBS1 at 7

765:  IBOC spoils this
frequency.  Someone there at 7

774:  JJ and cochannel
CC at 9 level.

792:  7 level with 2
stations with music and talk

801:  spiritual
sounding vocal at 14:15 at 7 level

819:  North Korea at 9
level

828:  JJ and cochannel
CC

837:  7 level

1539:  UAE initially
there at excellent level at 14:19, replaced by CNR1  at 14:26, then VOA ID at 15:00 at 9 level,
later CNR1 cochannel heard too.  Back and
forth!

1548:  8 level DW Sri
Lanka  plus het from 1547.9.  Not quite as strong as yesterday.  Radio Sawa at 14:57 at 8+ level, and finally
DU at 15:12.  Neat frequency!!!

1557:  WYFR at 8 to 9
level, but also another CC station.
Wonder who?

1566:  HLAZ at 9 level
at 13:31, but didn’t hold up very well.

1575:  VOA Thailand at
9 level too.  Radio Farda also well heard
today, dominating at 14:25, for instance

1584:  2 weak
cochannels, with one on 1584.04

1593:  CC station way
over JJ station at 9 level at 14:03

1602:  6 level

1701:  6 level audio
at 14:05.  Other DU X-banders were
present with good level carriers, but weak or no audio.

That’s it for my reports from Haida Gwaii.  The DX, was exceptionally interesting!!!