Re: [IRCA] KICY Nome 850

> I recorded the TOH on the Perseus, and they faded down a touch.  Still easy to follow, and came back up to very good strength about a minute later.  No ID at the TOH (at 05:00, they didn't ID until 05:02-- usually by a child, and then into network news).  They ID'd at 06:02:50 by an adult woman after indigenous vocals as:  "Serving Shannon Bay, ?  ,and all western Alaskan this is KICY Nome" No PSA....Walt

I will post the MP3 of this later -- timing, on my part, may be off by one minute --
is one of those things that when you are standing on a dark balcony out in the open
air, holding an Eton E1 over a 7th story precipice (with one hand) and a Sony MD recorder
either in the other hand or perched precariously on the hand rail of the balcony --
that makes this white knuckle DXing. My wife does not like it - and neither does
Walter it seems!

I was would rate the reception at this time as marginal - KOA ruled the channel and
although there was this "different" spiritual programming leading up to the hour,
the voice that I heard could have been as easily male as female -- that is how
bad it was.

Last year, my Eton E1 slipped off a window ledge -- over 100 feet above the ground.

Thankfully, I caught it.

Having worked on radio towers upwards of 200 feet high, in my career, tall things do
not bother me in the slightest.

At 50 years of age I am often perched on top of 30 to 40 feet of scaffolding installing
speakers in University auditoriums -- like I was today in the University of Victoria's
First Peoples Ceremonial Hall. All good fun.

Honing my DXing skills... even on the job!

--
Colin Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Blog - Coffee DOT BC DOT CA