Re: [IRCA] KYUK 640Khz - confirmation letter - spot the irony

Re: [IRCA] KYUK 640Khz - confirmation letter - spot the irony

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
K200EA, if it exsisted on 87.9, would be an FM translator and not a TV
station as he says it is;)

And i see they're going IBOC. Public radio stations in Alaska apparently got
a grant that was specifically for HD radio transmitters and if they didn't
use it for that, they lost it and couldn't use it for anything els.e

"K200EA" is apparently a typo for K21AO, which is one of two LPTVs that KYUK owns in Bethel.

Here's my understanding of the IBOC situation: because electricity is almost unbelievably expensive in rural Alaska - I've heard figures as high as 50 cents/kWh (!) - some of the rural public radio AM stations are looking for ways to reduce their power bills by turning off analog AM.

KIYU in Galena shut off its AM entirely earlier this year, replacing it with a half-dozen 100-watt FM signals. I've heard some discussion from other AMs up there about going digital-only on AM. Even if it means providing listeners with replacement receivers, the savings on power bills would apparently more than make up for that cost.

As a bonus, it would provide us with our first chance as DXers to see what digital-only HD operation - literally IBOC in this case - might do at a distance...