[IRCA] Last night's (9-30) SSS DX from here in IL

[IRCA] Last night's (9-30) SSS DX from here in IL

Still using the quicky DXped Phased BOG System aimed 320 degrees described in earlier posts and it didn't disappoint. However, whereas the spectaculur cx of the previous night will go down in history as one of the top few SSS nights ever here (1-4-2002 was just a bit better) last night was just very good. Much of the same stuff was in but signals just had a bit more oomph the previous night and later in the session I was getting some light snap/crackle/pop qrm from the distant storms which are now here in IL with heavy rain. Times CDT

Finally I dug out KqKD 1380 from SD which is on a crowded channel and low powered and without a favorable pattern. I had brief traces of rlg format the night before and then last night at 1942 just prior to power switch, a "Family Radio" slogan and some talk about God and soon gone when switched. This leaves me only 580 to complete SD outside of some needed GYers. I probably have tried for them a couple hundred times.

Success also on 1320 for my 2nd new one and most wanted KHRT from Minot ND. Again there'd been some gospel traces the night before. But this time at bit more and cleared in the mixed with KELO and KOZY etc. At 1955 I caught the 1320 KHRT ID, I think preceeded by "Solid Gospel". This leaves me only Paul Walker's former employer of KDKT 1410 to complete ND outside of the GYers most of which I need. Later my semi-local WRMN 1410 dropped audio for a good hour+ ..it seemed like OC but the sports on 1410 was KOOq weakly and no trace of KDKT although I do get things at that distance at night on lowish powers on clearish channels.

I also observe when the usual indicators start fading in as I tune up and down the band. 1190 CFSL from SK was in rather nicely as early as 1930 with Blue Jays BB with WOWO phased. 1180 KOFI was in well by 2025 and really blasting prior to 2045 switch. Phasing could knock out Cuba or WHAM but not both, but neither was strong. 1090 had KBOZ MT pounding KAAY at 2042 with an ad for Big Sky ranches (I'd love 35,000 acres for antennas..ie 4 element side by side phased arrays of mile long Bevs slightly staggered to also enhance f/b) and then more ads and an ID. In contrast to the previous night, Northern Utah stuff wasn't as good and I didn't note UT on 1120 or 1510 and 1550 was barely noted and KSL was not as strong under my local WYLL. Calgary was in on 1060 by 2030 however and AB on 1140 was noted as early as 2015 with WRVA phased.

Now for the fun stuff..ie more westerly states. When 50 kw KOFI 1180 is blasting in on SSS I look for nearby KVNI 1080 as their oldies stick out nicely (noting UT has switched before KVNI's 2100 switch time and doesn't really play the same stuff anyhow) 1080 is made workable by phasing semi-local WNWI's ethnic stuff which I can almost kill completely. Surprisingly no trace of KVNI this season. A later check had no Portland there either. I usually don't get OR if UT isn't coming in really well.

So up to high band to check for more fun from WA. Anyhow, KFBK 1530 news and and a 6:49 TC noted u/phased WCKY at 2049. They are quite common here and easy to pick out and about the most southerly distant thing in on that NW directed antenna system. Up to 1550 and there was KRPI in about as early prior to their switch time as I'd ever had them. And KKAD was soon with them at times.. (MYL mx Sunny 1550) things seemed really promising. KRPI went into EE for the 2100 ID and I was laughing as they gave the usual disclaimer about the views and opinions expressed not being those of mgmt in EE and then right back into Punjabi talk. This station sticks out like a red apple in a bushel of green ones but make sure not to confuse with CBE which can have Indian accented stuff. I have yet to hear a trace of CBE here on this antenna system, but if I aim BOGs at them, they are semi dominant. KRPI while up to vg strength just didn't make to the xlnt arm chair peak levels of 9-29. They dropped like a stone at 2129 switch. 1560 had bits of SS around 2105 but wasn't reasonable until a 2120 peak with Marniers BB in SS. They were considerably better the previous night as well and last night I had no trace of suspected KZIZ with them. KKAA was also a bit stronger and more qrm. Checking other highband possibilities from WA gave me nothing.

BC on 1130 was semi-dominant by 2120 and BC was well u/WHO 1040 at the time with hockey talk.

I did think 1560 KVAN switched at 2130 (15 min late or even 30 min) but there were still in but weaker. Perhaps it was just a fade but I am wondering how I am still getting them on night rig both nights.

Re the 1680 SS rlg station in Seattle, Radio Luz. They were noted decently as early as 2035 with WPRR phased out and with only minimal other qrm. However, they also didn't make it to the big levels of the previous night and were quite shaky after 2130 switch from 10 to 1 kW.

A needed station that seems strangly absent considering how well I get into SK and AB on these BOGs is CKJR 1440 from AB. Not a trace of oldies and their pattern isn't that bad for me and 1440 is quite clear at night and nothing towards the NW is at all strong. WROK is low power at night and weak and MN's Disney is a total non factor. 1440 from ND is also low powered at night and not dominant so at times 1440 seems quite clear. Oh well..I will keep trying.

73 KAZ Barrington IL