[IRCA] More on buying from Taobao

Hi all:

I've already had a couple inquiries as to the nuts and bolts of ordering
through an agent off of Taobao, so here's a synopsis of how it works with
Obook:

1.  Look at Taobao and see what you want - there is a search line towards
the top of their home page.  The Google translation feature works pretty
well.  Items are either new or used - I went for an item that showed the
new packaging just to make sure.  As a rule of thumb, divide the price in
Yuan by 5, and that is the approximate amount it will be, with all
shipping and fees, delivered to your door by Obook.
2.  Send Obook an email, giving them the link to each Taobao item you
want.  Specify color if necessary.
3.  Obook will contact the Chinese seller(s) and verify stock, get
ordering information, etc.
4.  Obook will send you an email, usually with an Excel spreadsheet form,
showing the items and all possible shipping options.  It details their
fee, and estimated shipping charges, both to them and then to you.
5.  If all looks good, pick the shipping scheme and associated total that
you want, and send Obook a Paypal payment for that amount.
6.  Obook will put up a dummy Ebay item for the amount of their fee.  You
bid on the Ebay item, but never actually pay for the Ebay item, since
Obook will quickly mark it "paid".  It is simply a way for Obook to
receive feedback.
7.  Obook orders your stuff, and it is sent to Obook by the Chinese Taobao
seller(s).  When it arrives at Obook's offices, Obook will send you an
email to that effect and let you know that they have in turn shipped it to
you.  If you order from more than one seller, Obook will collect it all
and make one shipment to you, saving shipping fees.
8.  Shipping generally takes up to a week for it to get from the seller to
Obook, and then another 9-15 days from China to your door.  My first
transaction took a total of 16 days.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA