[IRCA] Neat piece of BCB History picked up today.................

[IRCA] Neat piece of BCB History picked up today.................

Hi Guys:

Today I attended the London, ONTARIO HAMFEST for umpteenth time...and I
came home with something pretty cool...or at least I think so. One of my
Old Local Stations......CHLO 1570......who went off the air a few years
back...was located just a little south of London in ST. THOMAS, ONTARIO.
I used to listen to this station when I was a kid growing up. Many years
ago I obtained a Souvenir Drinking Glass from my Grandmother that was
inscripted with CHLO's Logo and showed them as being on 680 Khz and
serving London/St.Thomas. Apparently the LO in CHLO stood for "LONDON".
They later swapped frequencies with  CFTR Toronto.....Anyways...I have
kept that glass for many years...and have it on Display in my Radio Shack.

Today I picked up another piece of CHLO Memorabilia!!!!! To make a long
story longer........a friend of mine just happened to be driving by the
CHLO Transmitter Site the day they were dismantling everything and
taking down the tower when they signed off the air. He asked the guys
who were taking the tower down if he could have a souvenir to remember
the Station by. Turns out they gave him something which he kept for a
few years....then passed it along to another friend of ours...who kept
it for a few years...and today I obtained that souvenir of CHLO from him!!

What I picked up was a set of 2 of the RED BLINKING LIGHTS from the top
of the CHLO Tower!!!! They are housed in a Heavy Cast Iron Case that is
painted Orange. The Entire unit must weight about 10 Pounds or so!!
So...I'm gonna clean them up.....and maybe repaint the Orange
Casing...as it's a little worn......and then display them in my Radio
Room alongside the CHLO 680 Drinking Glass!!

Pretty amazing what shows up at a Hamfest sometimes!! And to think it
was 2 Good friends of mine that previously owned these Lights...and I
never knew  either had them!!

About 15 years ago at the same Hamfest I picked up 2 SHURE 55S "ELVIS"
Chrome Mics that had come from the Studios of CFPL 980 London!!

Cool stuff is still out there waiting to be found!!!

73...ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
London, Ontario CANADA