Re: [IRCA] Sept 25 TP DX - Mind boggling

At 12:20 PM 9/25/2009, you wrote:
>TP conditions this morning were nothing short of fantastic.  Not just the best this season but the best in several years here.  I've had Grayland DXpeditions that weren't as productive.
>
>Mind you, this was all done while I slept (I went to bed late last night), but that's what SDR's are for.
>
>The highlight of the morning was hearing CHINA on 1170 mixing with KBS and KPUG.  Before 1300 I had KBS World Radio in Japanese sometimes topping KPUG.  At 1300 there were 3+1 pips from KBS mixing with 5+1 pips from China, of which the final, longer one coincided with the CBS news sounder on KPUG.  A moment later, I was blown away by CNR's familiar theme tune followed by a clear "Zhongyang Renmin Guangbo Dientai" ID by a man.  CNR1 has outlets listed in Guangdong province - perhaps one of them boosted power recently to counteract the co-channel VOA broadcasts.  So if anyone hears Chinese on 1170, it's either KBS, VOA or CNR.  Take your pick.
>
>Other stuff from today, sort of in chronological order
>
>780   KNOM atop KKOH with ID and ABC news 1200
>738    Taiwan presumed, in CC with no pips or theme music at 1200

I heard time pips at 13:00, though, Bruce.  No SDR recordings earlier, just at 12:59 onward.  I also listened to my 1170 and could make out the KBS World Radio signature tune,
and another oriental speaker, but a bit too jumbled for me.  For whatever reason (perhaps the Perseus has to "warm-up"), things don't pick up here until perhaps 13:20 or
later.  That's why I haven't bothered to check earlier than 13:00.  Another real possibility is the large amount of domestic splatter which negates a lot of the TP signal
strength, and closer to local dawn, they are starting to disappear.....Those Alaskans also heard here today, but not as good as a week or two ago....Walt.