From: Jim Renfrew [mailto:jrenfrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:23 PM
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx; Tvfmdx@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Greg Coniglio
Subject: Western Ireland Report / G8 Report

Jim Renfrew, Holley NY

It appears that Greg and I got our orders from DX HQ mixed up because we
both went out to Western Ireland around the same time checking on reception
conditions there.

Grundig G-8 barefoot on the Dingle Peninsula and The Burren (Ireland) last
week - no TA signals noted.  Disappointing, especially with no Irish QRM,
since the only legal Irish station left is LW 252.  Nice selectivity on the
G8, though.

Lots of Europe, of course.  As Greg Coniglio noted the Iberians are strong
up and down the band, but nice deep nulls by moving the radio around.
Nothing that we haven't heard in Newfoundland, though.  I didn't have a lot
of time for DX.  It would have been ideal to get up near dawn to try for the
TAs, but I spent too much time pubbing at night!  In case you are wondering,
I did get a chance to play a fiddle tune in one of the pubs.  I wasn't
chased out with broken beer bottles, but they didn't invite me to play a
second tune!

In Newfoundland I easily got Euro signals in the afternoons on a crappy 10
kHz rental car radio, and I half expected the same in reverse from Ireland.
Not this time.

I had a little more fun with FM.  Definite weak Spanish on 100.4 for a few
moments the afternoon I arrived in Dingle, but then nothing else other than
Ireland.  There's a SER station in the Madrid area on 100.4 with 10 kW.
It's 900 miles between Madrid and Dublin, so about the same distance from
where I was, looks like long tropo.  The Continuous Rain made tropo very
unlikely.

The FM channels in Ireland are mostly in blocks of spectrum with
transmitters spread around the country, RTE1 from 88-90, RTE2 from 90-92, R.
Galtachta 93-94, etc.  There were also wide gaps in the spectrum where Es
and tropo could easily appear.  We happened to drive by the Radio Galtachta
studio in the middle of absolute nowhere on the north side on Dingle, but I
didn't think to take a photo for Scott.  This is the Gaelic only
broadcaster - and the best music on any channel - by far!

Not so easy DXing while driving left-handed!  Even when I was a passenger as
my wife drove I had to be a very active co-pilot - lots of two-way traffic
on one-lane roads with no shoulders.

.