[IRCA] Today's DX - Thursday 9-17-09

I definitely agree with whoever said this was an excellent morning. I found myself awake at 1240 UT and decided to hit the dials in "real time" for the first time this season (as opposed to checking the SDR files later in the day). It was a good decision - I heard more Asians than any other morning so far this season. Conditions would have almost been OK by Grayland standards, and were downright thrilling by Seattle standards..

Here are the highlights. I've omitted the routine stuff and most of the unid carriers this time around:

1170 SOUTH KOREA, KBS World Radio fair w/ 3+1 pips & signature tune, then woman in Chinese, mixing w/KPUG and a third station 1300. The other station had 4 short pips and one long very high tone at the TOH. A tantalizing mystery to be sure - the pips are typical of Chinese stations, and there are many of them listed here. 594 JAPAN, JOAK, fair w/JJ talk 1301, loud by 1308. First time heard this season, mainly because the SDR-IQ has loud gurgling noises on 590-610. As expected, it was easily heard on the Drake.

603 SOUTH KOREA, woman in KK, then pop music good 1303. First time heard this season (see 594)

558      SOUTH KOREA, pop music //603 fair 1303

657      NORTH KOREA, good w/usual tirade 1306

711      Very noticeable het against local KIRO-710 1309 & 1318

891 UNID woman in Asian language 1312, but too much CJDC-890 & KIXI-880 splatter

1215   CHINA, weak w/time pips 1200, CC talk fair 1205 & 1210

1134 SOUTH KOREA, fair with 3+1 pips & woman in KK 1200, much stronger 1205 w/man in KK in CKWX splatter

1305   UNID female talk, fair signal 1208 but bad domestic splatter

1359 Carrier/het from presumed China, but too much KKMO-1360 splatter to get definite audio 1210

738 Chinese talk fair 1311, presumably Taiwan, first non-Korean log on 738 this season

819 NORTH KOREA, 1316 fair w/female operatic despite heavy splatter from local KGNW-820

837   UNID, excited Asian male in unid language weak 1317

1017   CHINA, CRI KK service fair 1248

963   CHINA, first decent audio of the season, fair w/Russian talk 1741

1035   CHINA, CNR time pips but little else 1300

1044   CHINA, fair w/CRI signature tune, CC ID by man, JJ ID by woman 1301

Here's hoping for more of the same on Friday

Bruce in Seattle
SDR-IQ and Drake R8A receivers
K9AY antenna