[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Island: Sept 17

This morning must be an example of different antenna systems hearing different things, entirely. My morning was quite different from Walt's, but similar to Colin's: It was my best Asian morning so far. It started early and lasted late with very few channels below 1125 without Asian audio at least at threshold levels. I did NOT have Asian audio on 648, 810, 900, 954(oddly), 981, 1008 and 1080. Otherwise, they were all full, with many of the channels at very strong levels. I've never gheard 675 VOV so strong... Just for the heck of it, I // them with their internet feed and it was slightly better :>).

Mostly, it was either the usual suspects or too low level to ID solidly, unfortunately... I had something on 549 that was not JJ and not VoV2 (not // the internet) and too low to get a real handle on. 819 North Korea could easily have been broadcasting from nearby Vancouver. I really think that they have worked on that transmitter/antenna in the past year, WOW! I continue to watch 1053. The last few mornings, there has been programming there that is absolutely not //2850, but is too low level to ID the language.

I'd agree with the comments that this early season has been at least as good as the last two. I'm hearing more and better from the Mainland, I think, but what is missing is the second and third tier of JJ stations... I have heard very little of the NHK small synchro transmitters and nothing from most of the commercial outlets.

For the first time in several years, I've decided to give the Alaskans a try from here, driven by hearing previously difficult KJNO-630 several mornings in a row. I'm almost certain I had KVOK, Kodiak-560 at 9PM TOH last night, running over a phased KQC, Wenatchee, WA. That was cause for celebration, since Kodiak is 1 kW and a lot further away than the 5kW in Wenatchee. I tuned in and phased at 8:55 and probable KVOK hung in there pretty solid until 9:03PM, before dropping like a rock. The rats played continuous C&W the entire time... not a hint of even a song title, much less an ID....... ARGH!!!

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops