[IRCA] mid-ocean report 9 Sept.

At 13:58 9/9/2009, John B. wrote:
Here, it was a bit of an odd/disturbed morning.  Only about half of the regulars
were in at listenable levels, but those that were in were doing quite well.

Out here,  I had to check to see if we'd drifted to the China coast overnight
(nope, 17 46 N,  158 14 W, about 400km south of Honolulu).  Either it was a very
good morning or the previous ones have been pretty poor.   The local electrical
noise was still there, it's just that signals were drowning it out in some cases.

Chinese signals such as 765, 1089, 1377, 1593 etc. were often at paint peeling
level, with 1089's two signals being the most consistent except of course, at
the top of the hour, 1600UT, when it got pretty thin.  Complete mysteries on 549
and 1341 require further study, while a pleasant coup was hearing 927 and 1224
in parallel with apparent CNR Zhonghua zhi Sheng on 765;  hmm, I see that 549 is
listed as //765 in the most recent PAL; I've got to update my parallel list.  Oh
well, maybe tomorrow.

A fair number of Japanese at good level of course, with 1242 hanging on until
1650UT, but I wonder if NHK2 is signing off at 1500UT again.  There were big
carriers on the usual channels when I started listening about 1510UT, but no
audio, and the carriers were gone after 1600UT.

Logged the Korean on 711 as expected, but it was pretty thin compared with the
parallel on 1305.  I'd heard neither on the previous mornings, plus there was
weak audio on 1566 which again hasn't been heard before now.  1170 continues to
be a powerful mix of KBS and VoA.

The Australians however, were much poorer, only 702 and 1548 being noted, and
weaker than previous mornings.

best wishes,

Nick