[IRCA] Radio survival

> > For the first time in years, 1520 Portland OR is off. Have no
> > idea why. Nothing coming in during the Summer day, but it may
> > be off tonight too.
>
> Patrick-
> I know you are possibly thinking in terms of transmitter work or format
> change. But, I have a very strong feeling, that over the remaing time the
> obama has left, you will see more and more stations go off the air for
good.
> This is only gut feeling, and I really hope I am wrong.
>
> However, The signs all point to me being correct.

I have read that radio stations may be on the list of businesses getting
federal bailout money.  Given the strings usually attached to such loans,
I'm not sure this is a good idea.  A better idea would be to review all the
rules and regulations and eliminate the ones that really don't help.  Trim
the fees as well.  That would keep radio in a much healthier climate.

<humor>
Of course, if they mandated QSL responses as part of the loan requirements,
I'd be OK with that...
</humor>

Craig Healy
Providence, RI