Re: [IRCA] July 25-26 Grayland DXpedition

At 10:55 PM 7/24/2009, you wrote:
>Thanks Walt,
>
>We still hope that you and the other Victoria DXers can join us for a DXing
> session sometime again in Grayland, even though Vancouver Island probably
>has many great ocean beach locations more convenient for you. Grayland is
>not quite as exotic as Italy or the Queen Charlottes, but the South Pacific
>can really boom in there when DXers hit the summer dates right.
>
>73, Gary

Hi Gary!  As Nick mentioned, Vancouver Island is a very difficult area to DX from due to population congestion (more and more people love to walk their dogs, etc very early in the morning), but more important, the coastline lacks easily accessible flat beaches...something Chuck Hutton and I found out during our attempts at DXing in north-western Vancouver Island....the scenery was beautiful, but the DX sucked.  Tofino, in the old days was ideal with lots of sandy beaches, but these days there are way too many high end resorts, many of which emit a lot of RF noise with power saving devices.  In years past, it was very easy to erect antennae that no one bothered with.  No longer.  This is where, perhaps, more compact antennae make a lot of sense.  The old areas that we used to use within an hour of Victoria are now all off-limits.  Colin Newell does seem to have a fair amount of luck at a place called Point-no-Point near Jordan River, though.  They have a number of cabins whic!
 h would allow for broadband loops, but not Beverages, as the terrain is steep down to the beach.  My cottage on the Queen Charlottes is ideal with many miles of empty beaches and very few people.  Unfortunately it's a long way there(around 900 km north-west from Victoria).  ....Walt