[IRCA] Tecsun PL-300WT DSP-enhanced Ultralight... Further Info

[IRCA] Tecsun PL-300WT DSP-enhanced Ultralight... Further Info

Hello All,

Since there appears to be significant interest in this innovative pocket
radio, I'll try to answer some of the FAQ's in advance, in hopes  of
minimizing the commotion on the list reflectors.

The PL-300WT does in fact tune in 1 kHz steps on AM, as well as at a
selectable 9 or 10 kHz rate. The radio has an innovative feature which can
switch the tuning rate according to the user's input, i.e. switching to a faster
rate during wide frequency sweeps, and back to the 1 kHz rate during fine
tuning. My own impression is that this feature is very useful for  DXing.

The radio's size is 5.25 x 3.5 x 1 inches, or 133 x 88 x 27 mm. Having
three AA batteries and weighing little more than an E100, it looks, feels and
acts like a typical pocket radio, and should be accepted by all as a
legitimate Ultralight receiver.

The DSP capability provides exceptional selectivity not only on AM, but on
FM and SW as well. Most Ultralight radios tested here have trouble
separating  the 104.3 Mhz Bellingham (WA) FM station from the 104.5 Mhz Covington
(WA)  station (if they can receive the Bellingham station at all). This radio
receives  both signals like locals, and has them completely separated.

During initial testing, the SW reception capability was not found to be
very impressive. DSP circuitry does provide excellent selectivity on SW, but
sensitivity appears to be average at best. In addition, the local KSUH-1450
Korean-language pest seems to have a significant signal over much of the
11 Mhz and 15 Mhz SW international broadcast bands, regardless of  the tuned
frequency. My interim recommendation is that SW enthusiasts avoid
purchasing this radio if SW reception capability is the top priority.

The two-lead AM loopstick of the new PL-300WT is very similar to that of
the E100, but it is actually a little shorter. Tecsun has either dramatically
 improved the medium-wave RF front end to provide more low-band sensitivity
(more  likely), or improved the loopstick design. I'm very eager to start
Slider  loopstick transplants for myself and the others who have requested
such  modifications, but I need to keep the current unit in stock condition
until all  comparison testing with the other 2009 Shootout contenders is
completed. Another  unit has been ordered from "Liypn" for initial Slider
testing.

My PL-300WT radio was ordered from the Chinese eBay seller "Liypn" on May
18th for a total cost of $73.99 (including shipping by registered air mail,
and  insurance). It arrived on May 29th, well-packed, after a delay of 11
days.  Unfortunately, the English operating manual mentioned in the listing
was  not included in the package (nor was any Chinese manual), so a request
has  been sent to "Liypn" for a link to a site providing an English manual.
The  radio's digital functions are quite intuitive, however, so a user can
figure out the basics without too much trouble.

My own distinct impression is that despite the similar appearance, the new
Grundig G8 will be a completely different radio than this  Chinese-market
PL-300WT, based upon the significant size and weight differences.  None of
the G8 advertising mentions any DSP capability, which is the primary
advantage of the new Tecsun PL-300WT. Both Grundig and C.Crane have  a history of
stripping down and/or overpricing their rebranded Chinese  domestic models, in
hopes of making more profits from unsuspecting North  American purchasers
(who are unaware of the eBay direct purchasing options). It  would be typical
for Grundig to strip the DSP capability and then add a bigger  speaker, in
hopes of cutting costs (and raising profits). The "new"  G100 model is a
prime example of corporate faith in uninformed,  unsuspecting buyers. My
recommendation is to avoid the G8, just like you should  avoid the G100.

And yes, Rob, I will be happy to take the blame for a stampede of PL-300WT
orders, and for raising the price into the stratosphere. But be careful
that you  don't chime in and join me (like you did with the Sony SRF-T615), or
you will be  my partner in crime!

73,  Gary DeBock

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823251x1201398665/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May