From: "Guy Atkins" <dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:01:30 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [IRCA] 1710 Mystery Russian - Getting Closer!

Today I needed to be in the Bothell/Mill Creek WA area for a totally
unrelated reason, so before I returned to my office I drove north on the
Bothell-Everett Highway, past the Maltby Road intersection which is where
Bruce had turned back yesterday.
The farther I went, the stronger the 1710 signal became. Eventually I turned
left at 164th St. SE, as I was running out of time and couldn't head farther
out (north). As I headed west, the signal grew even stronger, and was VERY
strong when I neared Mill Creek Community Church (16415 North Rd.) on the
corner. I drove around the building as far as possible, looking for any sign
of an antenna, but nothing was seen. Not only that, the signal appeared
slightly weaker right near the church.

I drove north on North Road (north side of 164th St. SE), and found the 1710
mystery station stronger still! Unfortunately I didn't have a portable radio
with a ferrite loop with me, but the area of strongest signal seems to be
among a group of apartment complexes. Here's a Google Maps link to the
location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mill+creek+community+church,+mill+creek,+wa&ie=UTF8&ll=47.850106,-122.23651&spn=0.002606,0.004812&t=h&z=18

In the few minutes I had remaining I scanned for antennas or wires around
balconies and rooftops, but didn't see anything. I feel confident though
that the transmitter is within a few blocks of here.

A return trip to the neighborhood seems inevitable :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com