Re: [IRCA] 1710 Mystery Russian - Bearings Measurements

Well done, Bruce.

If a couple of you guys try this weekend with portable you'll nail this down. If this stays on the air at this power, I'll see if I can log it here when cx improve in the fall. 73 KAZ

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] 1710 Mystery Russian - Bearings Measurements

It's somewhere near Mill Creek!!!

I headed north on I-405 during my lunch hour with the radio tuned to 1710, and started hearing audio near the Canyon Park exit. I got off the freeway and headed north on the Bothell-Everett Highway. The audio got better and was soon recognizable as a man in Russian. I went as far as Maltby Road and headed east on Maltby for about a mile. By then, the signal ranged from strong to nil, depending on power lines and other noise sources. The same guy talked continuously the entire time, except for a brief piano interlude.

I didn't have a portable radio for DF'ing, didn't know the area, and needed to get back to the office, so I turned around and headed back to work. The signal got gradually weaker as I headed towards 405 and disappeared completely about a half mile past the on ramp.

That doesn't quite poinpoint the location, but at least we've got it narrowed down considerably. It looks like Guy's bearing was on the money. Now, if somebody wants to try their hand at what hams call a fox hunt, we might be able to find the exact location. Unfortunately, my schedule is pretty full this weekend, including my son's high school graduation.

Bruce