Re: [IRCA] 1710 Mystery Station

Friday through Sunday I was camping in central Washington, north of Cle Elum
(N. Fork of the Teanaway River, 47°24'16.43"N, 120°55'54.70"W), and checked
1710 kHz frequently from Friday sunset onwards. I brought along the Eton E1,
a 10:1 transformer, coax lead-in, and 100 feet of random wire. I also had a
handful of smaller receivers like the CCrane SWP, Degen DE1103, and Eton
E100 (all stock). I was going to bring along laptops and the Perseus
receivers but at the last moment decided the trip was already complicated
enough, and left them at home.

The signal of 1710 (~1709.99 as best as I could tell on the E1) was widely
variable in signal strength, but the best level was around local sunset on
Friday. When I first tuned in, 1710 was at a fair to good level with Russian
language religious programming, but dropped quickly to a mere whisper just a
couple minutes later. The rest of the trip they were at threshold level to
poor, or sometimes just a carrier. As others have mentioned it seems to be a
24 hours operation. I checked occasionally between midnight and sunrise and
heard the same very weak signal and programming.

Using the radios I had on hand which have an internal loopstick (all but the
E1), as best as I can tell the bearing was slightly NNW-SSE (~345/165
degrees). Yakima is a city on this bearing to the SSE. However, I don't have
a lot of confidence in this due to the weak signal making DF'ing tough. I
wish I had though of trying one of the loopstick radios during the brief
period of good signal on 1710 at sunset on Friday.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com