Re: [IRCA] SDR

> Craig, I believe it was Bruce Conti who said his SDR was also
significantly
> better than the R8B for audio recovery from splits. That alone (since I
need
> real good selectivity here for TA and the continuing TP quest) should
> convince me to get one.

I am impressed with this thing.  A project I have is setting an older IBM
laptop so it can run off it.  The laptop has a password issue that's stopped
me.  I have to hack a chip or replace it to get it to work.  The previous
owner forgot the password and that IBM is a security nightmare.  What I want
to do is be able to set it to record when parked at a great spot like Mark
C. and others do.

> Anyhow, the question here is whether anyone has done a side by side
> comparison of the RFSpace SDR's vs the Perseus for very difficult signal
> recovery situations... ie pulling that weak split out of the mess.

There was a comment on the RFSpace having spurs when in an urban location.
I find the internal attenuators and external DX Engineering RPA-1 preamp can
be manipulated so that isn't an issue.  An antenna tuner would also do that,
though limit the recording bandwidth to one channel.

I may try a Perseus someday, but there needs to be a lottery win first...
(grin)

Also makes me wonder what the next generation of SDRs will be like.  Maybe
something the size of an iPhone with 10 terabyte storage onboard.  Maybe
even a holographic projected screen and keyboard.  And a serious carbon
nanotube-sourced ferrite rod antenna.  A rod that measures an inch long but
acts like it's a yard in length.  Talk about a ULR!  One can dream...

Craig Healy
Providence, RI