Re: [IRCA] Loop antenna

Hey Saul:

Of the commercially-available units, the Quantum QX Pro is the one as far
as I know.  Other active loops include the Palomar loop and Select-a-tenna
active model, but they don't have the Quantum's Q multiplier (and the
Select-a-tenna isn't easily tilted for azimuth nulls).  Kaito has the
KA-35, but haven't heard much about it.  The old Kiwa loop is good, but no
longer available new, and good luck getting one for under $500 used.

The laws of physics limit the signal grabbing power of a ferrite antenna,
expecially on the low end, so if you go with the Quantum, you can
supercharge it even more with an external passive loop (the Terk is too
small and won't work - I use a Crate Loop) for signal and phasing, or just
plug a larger air-core loop like a crate loop directly into the base unit
instead of the ferrite head for increased gain.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA