Re: [IRCA] Wifi

At 11:02 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>Walt,
>
>You mentioned your internet speed was terrible up on the QCI. Would a
>cel phone internet work there? Is there cel phone service on the island?
>If it would work here, it may work there. Satellite is another option,
>but the weather in QCI is rougher than here in the Winter. Just a
>thought.
>
>73,
>
>Patrick

Nope, no cell phone coverage in my area at all.  Funny thing is that at Rose Spit, which is at the extreme north-east corner of the islands, I can get cell phone coverage from the mainland (that's where I've gone for some exceptional DX....25 or 30 miles
from the closest power line).  I bet with a high gain antenna, I could pick up Ketchikan, though, but that's not in Canada so getting an account of some sort would be very difficult.  With time I'm sure that something will come up.  They promised broad
band coverage (which is widely available in the town of Masset 18 km away) to the Tow Hill community (where I live) a couple of years ago, so this might come to pass sometime.  Trouble is, the population is perhaps 100 in the summer and half that in
the winter spread over many miles.....Walt.