[IRCA] Changes at KCPW 1010 Salt Lake City

[IRCA] Changes at KCPW 1010 Salt Lake City

This may not be of interest to anyone but Michael Richard in Evanston, but I'll take that chance...

KCPW 1010 Tooele/Salt Lake City has changed calls to KPCW, changing programming from 24/7 BBC World Service to a simulcast of public radio KPCW-FM 91.9 Park City UT.

KPCW used to be a sister station to KCPW-FM 88.3 Salt Lake, which owned KCPW 1010...before there was a big to-do over the salary being paid to the stations' founder, who's now departed.

The Salt Lake stations were put up for sale, and the FM ended up being bought by a local community group. The AM was supposed to have gone to a Catholic broadcaster, but it appears that sale didn't close. I don't know whether the AM/FM simulcast is a permanent thing, or if it's just temporary while KPCW seeks another buyer for the AM.

The AM signal is a 50 kW daytime boomer that's heard across most of Utah and into the surrounding states; at night it drops to 194 watts, and I don't ever recall it being reported at any great distance after dark. Maybe they can be talked into a DX test under the new identity... :-)