Re: [IRCA] economic downturn's effect on radio

On Saturday 07 February 2009 12:26, R. F. Tetro wrote:
> Radio is indeed getting hit hard in the present economy.  The
> company I work for has laid off 10% of its employees in the last
> three months, and all employees have taken a 5% pay reduction as of
> Feb 1, except for upper management who have taken a 10% reduction.
>  Still, it is better than letting go 1850 employees as Clear
> Channel did last month, with more rumored to come as on Feb 20.
>  Radio stocks are at their lowest point ever.  All of this is, of
> course, public knowledge (including the info on the company I work
> for).

What I find bizarre is that, despite those massive layoffs, Clear
Channel has added AM IBOC on no fewer than five stations (WNIO, WARF,
KXEW, WFXJ, WGIN) so far this year.  Granted that the IBOC
conversions were probably in progress before the latest downturn, but
I still think they have their priorities badly skewed.  The problem
is not the delivery system - it's the content, stupid!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON