Re: [IRCA] What's your closest unheard AM station? KDAC

Re: [IRCA] What's your closest unheard AM station? KDAC

Don,

Back in the 90s Bob and I were on our way back from LA and driving up
101 and I got a new report for KDAC I had brought along, logging it a
few days before we left for our trip. I think I even had a cassette with
programming as I remember.  I called the station from just before
Willits and caught their CE.  I asked him if he would QSL my report. He
said "sure" "Where are you?" I told him and Bob who as driving the van,
and I said "Turn", so we took the turn on Hy 20 and headed West. Quite a
curving road as I remember. We drove into Ft Bragg and easily found the
station. I believe the format was C&W at the time. Really a cool
building with gardens out front and a neat old radio museum in the
lobby. The tower is right behind the station too. Bob was writing for
Radio World at the time and he always tried to find that little unique
station for a story.  He interviewed the engineer and took a bunch of
pix and he had his story and I had my verie on nice KDAC letterhead. It
was well worth the trip over. I put a picture right in with the QSL.
When I got home, there was a second QSL letter from the GM, who had
answered my report  just after we left for LA.
   KDAC had quite a history for many years. The old owner had a real
dislike for DXers. I remember hearing them in the 60s and sending
several reports. I believe I caled the station and the GM hung up on me.
They were really a "Black" station for many years. When I logged them in
the early 90s, the station had just been sold as the old owner fell of
ill health and was forced to sell.
   I have not seen the station again, but it was one of those beautiful
sunny Northern California days, not a cloud in the sky. It really made a
nice picture.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin