Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:08:49 +0000
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts
	<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 17:49 1/28/2009, you wrote:

>I would love to stumble upon/design an antenna setup that would emulate
>BoG system, that could easily fit in my 50'x60' backyard. Having the
ability
>to control direction and angle of signal pickup would be a plus...hi.
(like
>a mini Wullenweber antenna)

Chris,

So would most of us,hi.   A lot of bright ideas founder on the
complexity of the implementation compared with the simplicity of having
a switchable selection of Beverage antennas.   The ideal is to have an
antenna with a steerable narrow lobe, except when you want a wide lobe
to find out what's out there.  But it has to be easy to understand its
operation I think.

The problem with a complex system is that by the time it's adjusted
properly (especially if it's frequency sensitive, and you need to
readjust for each channel), the opening can have passed (our morning
sunrise enhancements for example).   On the  coast it's relatively easy
to reject many domestics with a Flag or similar antenna, because the
wide remaining lobe is looking only at DX, and the null can be easily
touched up.  But it's not so easy in most locations with interference
from all directions, plus whatever local electrical noise you end up
introducing into a complex system.

>Cogs still turning (squeak, kah-thump), the next thought is a sloper
toward
>the pest station phased against an ALA-100, for example. Would that
work
>better as a phased combo? (think patterns and signal strengths)

It has a certain degree of simplicity, which is a good thing in my mind.
If you have a rotatable loop then you have some good possibilities.
But there are others on this list with more experience of phasing than
I, so you should probably wait for greater wisdom from them.

best wishes,

nick