Re: [IRCA] ALA 100

At 10:07 AM 1/26/2009, you wrote:
>For all those considering the ALA100 or any of Wellbrook's other great products for DXers, let me point out that the exchange rate for the British pound has collapsed vs the dollar recently. Several months ago the pound was worth $2 but now it is worth about $1.40. This means that for us Yanks, it is much cheaper to buy British products.
>
>I will also point out, that those with about 150 ft or more room may wish to consider the Wellbrook Phased Array, which John Bryant has given a superbly written review and which Guy Atkins is also very impressed with. I have one here which I hope to set up when it warms up.
>
>For those who have ALA100's, I am curious as to what the front-side ratio is in practice..ie how deep are the side nulls ?
>
>73 KAZ

Good point, Kaz.  Yes the phased array is a marvelous thing.  I have mine on the Charlottes, as there's no room in my urban location.  Funny thing, though, is the discrepancy of how well it works down here (Grayland and Orcas Is) vs the Queen Charlotte's.  Down here it works exceptionally well right through dawn, whereas on the Charlottes, we found that it worked very well right up to dawn enhancement, and then dropped off, far inferior to Beverage/BOGs.  I don't recall whether we came up with any explanation for this discrepancy.
As for side nulls, I guess one would need to mount one on a rotor, or have 2 perpendicular to eachother....neither of which I have done.  Guy Atkins did try his on a rotor, though......Walt.