Re: [IRCA] WOON-1240 test - spectral peaks? in Alberta

---- Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >From Paul's comment I took a careful look at 1239.2 and 1240.8 using the
> Perseus (with ~800' beverage in that direction) on a narrow spectrum span
> and lots of averaging.  I consistently noted a spectral peak on 1239.202
> and 1240.802 khz which would be consistent with 800 hz CW note on a 1240.002
> khz carrier(
>
> Was any of this discernible audibly - nope.

> 73 Don
> VE6JY

Can't we get those persons who kindly put together the
audio files with the CW IDs to insert at least (just) one code
ID at 5000 Hz? I know a number of us have mentioned
this before. Probably Craig Healy even more than me.

The long term averaging Don had to use, because the
800 Hz sidebands were buried in all the audio voice sidebands,
(with resulting poor s/n ratio) would not be necessary.

All one would have to do is to tune to (in this example)
1240.0, turn on the BFO, adjust the pitch for a comfortable
tone, then retune to 1245.0 (or 1235.0 whichever was clearer)
and just sit back and wait. The code ID should pop out as
a CW signal would do, at the same tone pitch.

On the waterfall display, the response time would be fast
enough to allow the code to be read directly from the
screen (analogous to the visual "CW Skimmer" all
the contesting hams are arguing about now, though
the principle and usage are a lot different).

The ideal of course is to hear the voice or code audibly.
But in a case like this, it's certainly worth trying. It
would let those DXers with simple communications-type
receivers try to hear a CW ID from a testing station.

The question of how to count it is a different discussion.
I'm taking about scientific discovery re weak-signal
reception techniques, not "counting stations". In fact,
I believe that to be valid, the DX station should be logged
and ID in the same manner as was intended by the
transmitting station i.e. audibly, in AM mode (preferably
with a 6AL5 diode detector, I'm sure Powell remembers
those).

But it sure is interesting to push the limits of technology!

73 Bob k2euh