[IRCA] Sony SRF-T615 Ultralight

Hello Guys,

     As the culprit who originally introduced this  tiny marvel to the ULR
enthusiast group, I feel some responsibility for the  current feeding frenzy in
orders for Japan's ultimate ultralight.

     Back in December of 2007, when the price for this  Japanese-market
marvel was only $92, I was looking for a top-of-the-line digital  pocket radio to
enter in the 2008 Shootout.  The $92 price seemed  ridiculous, but then I
figured maybe Sony had designed some innovative features  for this Made-in-Japan
model, and it just might be worth the money--  so I  placed an order through the
old Audio Cubes (from which I had ordered the  ICF-EX5 previously).  Lacking
any feeding frenzy from North America, my  model arrived in a week.

     The tiny radio had the best sensitivity of any ULR  tested in the early
days (SRF-59, SRF-39FP, SRF-M37V, DT-200VX, C.Crane  SWP, DT-201V and
DT-180V), and surprised me by receiving JOAK-594 in the  dead of winter, on its first
night in America (maybe it was  homesick?).  Its sensitivity edge over other
ULR models was  duly reported in the 2008 Shootout, leading to the first
stampede in North  American orders.  But from the beginning, its selectivity was
honestly  reported as being only average, and it certainly was not the best model
for  high-RF urban areas.

     The unique attraction of the SRF-T615 is  exceptional sensitivity in an
extremely small cabinet.  It is the ultimate  overachiever in DXing
performance for the ounce (or gram), and can be taken  anywhere very easily.  The new
Sangean DT-400W model can typically exceed  it in wide-band sensitivity now (at
a price of only $55), and the "discontinued"  (but still widely available)
Eton E100 can greatly outperform it in  selectivity--  but like John and Rob have
convincingly written, the  SRF-T615 has some intangible quality of making a
DXer completely attached to  it.  Do I think it is worth the current $150
price?  Not  really-- and if you are looking for the best overall DX performance
(sensitivity and selectivity) in an ultralight radio, the DT-400W or E100 is
probably the best way to go.  Like John said, if you are a transoceanic  DXer,
the Slider E100's (with the Murata filter) will smoke everything else in
sight.  But like everybody else who has written about these fascinating
SRF-T615's, I have two of them-- and they are staying right here :>)

     73,  Gary DeBock

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)